Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

David26

Central Military Hospital C....... ?

David26

I am trying to decipher the medical entries in the service record of 17936 Gunner John Thomas BOWKER who served in the RFA.  (The service record which survives is actually of his post-war service in the TF as a Private in 4th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers but it handily includes his wartime service too).

In the following extract two items are beating me and I wondered if anyone might be able to help?

855850883_Bowkersvcrec.PNG.1ef9110a5ca9a090ead314418c0d870b.PNG

On 19 October 1917 he was admitted wounded to a Central Military Hospital but I cannot make sense of the location.  It looks like it might be either Chatham or Charlton - the latter possibly in relation to the RFA facility at Charlton Park - but the LLT site on military hospitals in the UK only has one "Central Military Hospital" and that is in Cork.  Can anyone decipher the place name please?

The other thing eluding me is how the final entry in this extract starts and to what it refers.  It doesn't immediately look like a file reference but more might be a series of abbreviations possibly relating to furlough or other convalescent leave?

Any thoughts on either of these would be very welcome!

Happy Boxing Day to all,

David.

alf mcm

David,

There was a Central Military Hospital at Fort Pitt, Chatham in 1917.

Regards,

Alf McM

ss002d6252

I would concur on it reading Chatham, in my opinion.

Craig

David26

Thank you both! 

kenf48
1 hour ago, David26 said:

The other thing eluding me is how the final entry in this extract starts and to what it refers.  It doesn't immediately look like a file reference but more might be a series of abbreviations possibly relating to furlough or other convalescent leave?

I read it as 'A(rmy) F(orm) W 3016 (Furlough Form) from 3/12/17 to 12/12/17 Class 1' (i.e. medical grade, fit for general service the grades A,B,etc were divided into 4 numeric Classes ) then, presumably his home address in Flint. So granted leave on those dates to that address.

Ken

David26

Fantastic - thank you Ken!  I can see that now. 

David.