Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jesse Sawford

maudson

I wonder if anyone can help with a man in the Royal West Surreys. His name was Jesse Sawford and his Regimental Number was 61022. Few of his records now exist but the Military Tribunals seem to indicate that he was not conscripted until after July 1917. The Ringstead Roll of Honour show him in the 1/4th and having served in India.. The 1918 and Spring 1919 Absent Voters' Lists for Ringstead has him in the 1/5th.  The Medal Roll has him in the 1/4th. The 1/4th were in India all the war. The 1/5th were in India  but were transferred to the 15th Indian Division and were in Mesopotamia at the end of the war.

I an trying to work out if he joined 1/5th first and moved to 1/4th to remain in India. I wondered if anyone might know if there were groups transferred between the two battalions and if any more can be deduced from the Regimental Number etc. Also if there are any accounts of the RWS in India. 

Any thoughts - as always - very welcome.

David

He gets Indian GS Medal with Afgan clasp 1919 - click

There are quite a lot of 4th RWS on the roll. As you might know Ancestry have it indexed under "Battle of Waterloo" , Belgium 1815, in one of the nicest Ancestry mistranscriptions that I have come across

Name: J Sawford
Service Date: 1815
Service Place: Belgium
Campaign or Service: Battle of Waterloo
Regiment or Unit Name: 4th Battalion The Queen's Royal Regiment
Regimental Number: G/61022

Would have received the GS Medal, Afghan clasp, with 1/4th.

1/5th served in Mesopotamia from Dec 1915.

Drafts were transferred between 1/4th and 1/5th, although I think it's most likely your man remained with 1/4th throughout.

58 DM.

Many thanks corisande and 58DM. I will see what I can dig up about the 1/4th in India on the Northern Frontier. Thanks for the early Christmas present which I will look at again after the family have left. I will assume that all his time abroad was with the 1/4th.

Best Wishes

David

If you need it there is a War Diary for 1/4 Battalion QRWS for it's time on the NW Frontier as Lines of Communication defence between May and Jun 1919:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558545

but this is not digital or downloadable currently. Other time in India wouldn't have warranted a War Diary for this unit.

If you find a need for 1/5 QRWS War Diary for Mesopotamia ( May 1916 to Apr 1917) when it served in 12 Infantry Brigade of 15 Indian Division :

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/f487a959b52d4a8498ec4cf5214905d7

this would cost £3.50.

I think that the 1/4th Diary is  not there although the 1/5th are - but they left India before my man would have arrived there. There does not seem a general account of the North-West Frontier at this time that I can find. I have written to the Surrey History Centre to see if they can give any guidance.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Just to say thanks fro everyone's help. I have now posted his story on my Ringstead People site. If you do take a look and find any mistakes I would be grateful if you let me know.

Best Wishes

David