Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer's Casualty Forms

michaeldr

Thanks for flagging that up.  I've been cheerfully searching them since about March 2018 - maybe we weren't supposed to peek until Christmas 2019!

The term 'casualty form' is misleading though - these are movement cards for the BEF in France and Italy.

They exclude home service and other theatres, but generally include more information than appears in the AIR 76

30 minutes ago, quemerford said:

Casualty

As I understand it  historically it is from the Latin 'casus' meaning an event. Thus Casualty Forms record events in a man's service career, not just the negative sense of injury or sickness;

I agree these records have been accessible for quite a while and there are some other threads mentioning them, including the need to look out for copies of the back of the form that are not always obvious.

charlie

15 hours ago, charlie962 said:

...there are some other threads mentioning them, including the need to look out for copies of the back of the form that are not always obvious.

That's been fixed now - there's now a button for the second page where it exists.

Thanks for the heads up.  Found forms for four of my RA officers who qualified as observers with the RFC/RFA.  Could not find either of my RA officers who were kite balloonist with the 

RFC/RAF.

Dear michaeldr,

Super! Many thanks for that.

I immediately found the Casualty Form for my Lieut. F. E. Elliot, RGA attd 15 Sqn RFC as Obs. Most helpful and highly interesting.

He was wounded after two months on the Squadron (over Bullecourt, 1917). 

After convalescence, he asked to be returned to the RGA, stating a lack of confidence in the air - and that he was a trained Siege Gunner, whereas anybody could be an Observer.

He was indeed allowed to return to the RGA, who immediately put him on a Course. He saw further action in 1918 and post-war became a Indian Mountain Artillery commandant.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Gentlemen; Glad to have been of some assistance

15 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Lieut. F. E. Elliot, RGA attd 15 Sqn RFC as Obs. Most helpful and highly interesting.

He was wounded after two months on the Squadron (over Bullecourt, 1917). After convalescence, he asked to be returned to the RGA, ....... .......

He saw further action in 1918 and post-war became a Indian Mountain Artillery commandant.

Kim; Interesting that you should mention Lieutenant Colonel F. E. Elliot, as one of his essays appears in a book which I am fond of

Tales of the Mountain Gunners edited by C H T MacFetridge & J P Warren.

It's a short piece describing G W (Bill) Courtenay which I have added below on the off chance that it may be of some further interest

85974446_LtColElliotsessay.jpg.b15ea681da37282728f9cad532d096b5.jpg

Dear Michael,

Very kind of you to have attached that; one of the Keeper Books in my library!

I not only have photographs of F. E. "Freddie" Elliot, RA, but also of G. W. "Bill" Courtenay: both were tiger hunters. I possess Freddie Elliot's medals, and Bill Courtenay's medals are in a US Collection.

Kindest regards,

Kim.727426883_CaptG.W.CoutenayNWF.jpg.2439643cca6c14e84f70ea6ae0f79493.jpg1902545324_CaptCourtenayandTiger.jpg.0e43f51a01a0cbd451d2848ccd63199a.jpg2084080725_15StarLtElliotRGA.jpg.d3318a062512818363a3b438a1e0d15c.jpg379552024_FreddieElliot1May1937MaymyoBurma.jpg.5feaecc387e08e60e7697f9139b2c75a.jpg1925921520_FreddieElliotMtnArtDinnerClubmembership.jpg.95c007a2be17e88097e6c9c4ddf7ac9f.jpg

Thanks for those photographs Kim

Elliot has the lean and hungry look of a real 'mountain gunner'

whilst Courtnay is larger than life

It must have been the quart of ale with Tabasco sauce which stuck in my memory

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have been trying to visit casualtyforms.org and get "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.", and server not found. Has it moved, or is it now unavailable online ?

Hi

I've had the same problem for the last few days. Hopefully it is just a glitch and will be back up and running in the near future.

Steve