Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

60th Division in Salonika

Sgt Stripes

Hi. Does anyone have information regarding the 60th Division and the part they played in the first Battle of Doiran.  Many Thanks

I'm not sure of any unit histories for 60 Div.,  so you might want to look at the Official History by Cyril Falls, (there's a N&M reprint), or otherwise I suspect war diaries at Kew. It really depends how deeply you want to go into the detail. I get the impression that 179 Brigade was the one of that division most engaged, but that it played a relatively minor part.

Keith

As keith said 60th Division involvement in the April attack was minor, the 2/20th Bn London Reg (179th Bde) made a diversionary attack at Machukovo. In the May attack 179th Bde met little resistance in occupying Westbury, Tomato and Goldies hills, not sure which battalions were involved. Again as Keith says the official history will have more details. 

History of the 60th Division by Col P H Dalbiac has a little more info.

Edited by Jrmh

• 1 year later...

My grandfather was a staff officer in 60th Div RA and left an album in which he says he came from France to Salonika in December 1916 and left for Egypt/Palestine in July 1917.

That's correct, 60th Division departed from France in November 1916 arriving in Salonika in December and left June 1917 arriving in Egypt 4th July 1917.