Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Katherine Wheeler QMAAC query

chaz

not sure to post in medical or female section.

just recieved my latest family named medal, as its a female and a Queen Mary's Army Auxillary Corps .Katherine Wheeler 49681 was a worker, Ive had a look around the net and can only find a medal roll for her and the BWM and Victory. as Ive only got the BWM can I assume she was also entitled to a victory? couldnt see a MiC either.

Ive read that a worker coverd many jobs so is there a way of finding out what she did or any service records?

there was an earlier topic on the QMAAC but the records have been closed now.

I believe that the actual service records were lost in the blitz so I am not sure how much further you will be able to take the research - but good luck.

Chaz,

There are some WAAC/QMAAC service records available on Findmypast https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=british army%2c women's army auxiliary corps 1917-1920&lastname=wheeler

but none for Katherine {Tha same records are available ftom The National Archives}.

I did a search on Findmypast using Katherine's service number and searching 10 numbers above and below. It looks like this batch of records were destroyed in the Blitz.

Her overseas service would have been in France. Worker was a rank, and she could have done any number of particular jobs.

It could be a coincidence, but there is a WRAF record for Catherine Wheeler on Findmypast {the actua tecord is at TNA}. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=british women's royal air force service records 1918-1920&lastname=wheeler

Many QMAAC transferred to the WRAF.  EDIT - Can't be Katherine, just checked dates on QMAAC medal roll.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm