Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any idea what this is ?

lynx

Gawd... some kind of cable-laying kit? No idea, but good to get the ball rolling!

Edited by Pat Atkins

Probably some kind of farm machinery, but after searching google for a while I can find nothing like it so only a guess! Interesting looking machine

Thank you for the input. A wider less detailed image.  As you can see there are two of these machines and using the buildings as a gauge they appear to be

some size.

Scan.jpeg copy 7.jpg

Trench digging m/c?,

Churchill had a similar idea,only difference his brilliant idea involved tunneling just below the surface,initial trial went well,when the 

engineers returned the next morning,m/c had stuck fast when blue clay had shrunk ,as far as I know m/c still there near petit douve farm messiness,wheres Peter Barton !!!

A quick photo fix brings out a bit more definition.

I think it may be a lifter for the big boxes of gear next to it.

The top section looks like it can pivot off the rear axle.

(call me mad)

Dave

what2.jpg

what.jpg

Still think its some sort of trench digging m/c,the "boxes"beside could be timber for shoring up the sides of a trench,

RE: the enhanced photo

If you look at the 2nd machine in the distance I can make out one of the "boxes" in its "grabs" with perhaps an operator standing by it on the left.

Oh for HD !

Dave

23 minutes ago, trbl_tommy said:

Maybe its a A7V Schutzengrabenbagger tracked trench cutting vehicle?

see link: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/germany/a7v-schutzengrabenbagger-lmg-trench-digger/

Not that I'm afraid.

The trench cutter had 5 radial spokes in its big cutting wheel.

The machine in the OP only has 4.

Nor does it seem to have any cutters.

Maybe a cable or flexible pipe laying machine?

German trench systems in some sectors were supplied with 'mains' electricity and piped water ... so perhaps machines for laying cable and/or flexible pipe.  

I wondered if they might be mobile pitheads for dropping shafts prior to tunnelling?

David

My first idea was like Beechhill… water mills, on trailers for transport on way to wherever they would be used.

Or for lifting… sounds maybe crazy but before hydraulic power (talking middleages), cranes were operated with mills in which people would walk… a bit like a hamster wheel…

M.  

• Admin

'Tis may be a pair of barbed wire laying machines  some where on the Hindenburg line?

• Admin

Also no dissimilar to the wooden frames on the top of tanks for dropping into trenches before you drive over them?

Thank you all for your input. I am busy working my way through the 10 billion images on Google and as soon as I have a match I will let you all know.  Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.  Mike

8 minutes ago, lynx said:

Thank you all for your input. I am busy working my way through the 10 billion images on Google and as soon as I have a match I will let you all know.  Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.  Mike

And to you.

Remember, one image a second.

The first million (11.5 days) will be the worst.

On 21/12/2019 at 18:22, Marilyne said:

My first idea was like Beechhill… water mills, on trailers for transport on way to wherever they would be used.

Or for lifting… sounds maybe crazy but before hydraulic power (talking middleages), cranes were operated with mills in which people would walk… a bit like a hamster wheel

I was at the Science Museum in Birmingham recently.  They have a Water Lifting Steam Engine for use on Canals. It had a similar box arangement.