Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Charles Dennis BALDING: Another Image?

Kimberley John Lindsay

• 1 year later...
Jane Emily

I’m a bit late to this thread!    Charles Balding was my mothers uncle through marriage to her aunt Barbara (nee Robinson.  My mother remembers him fondly. 

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Jane Emily,

Better late than never! Many thanks indeed for responding. 

You will have already seen, above, Charles Balding's medals and the few photographs I have been able to find - before the Pandemic disrupted research, that is.

Perhaps you could please ask your mother if she has any, say, concrete information concerning those fond memories of her Uncle Charles?

There may even be some memorabilia or photos you could kindly scan ?

I would be more than grateful for anything whatsoever. 

Moreover, I can safely garantie that his medals will be treasured in my Collection of like capable and gallant Officers...

At the moment I am in the process of framing a photo of Major Balding together with his group of medals. 

I was born in Sydney, 1944, the second son of the then Australian Imperial Force Major J. G. Lindsay, MC, and now live in sw Germany. Incidentally, I Care 24/7 for my German wife Evelyn who has been battling Parkinson for the past ten years, which tends to limit research. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

The Inspector

Hi Kim,

Brilliant result. Isn't it time for another project?

Regards Barry

• 4 weeks later...
Ed Silvester

Hi.   From finding this button box amongst my Aunt’s things, I’ve rather gone down a rabbit hole that led me here.  Barbara Maud was my Maternal Grandmother’s Sister.  Aunt Barbara, she of the amazing passport stamps and stories of Nursing soldiers in Afghanistan.  She died in 1996.  I think this box may have belonged to Charles?  I don’t know much about him but I’m trying to find out more.  I met Barbara his wife, many times, growing up. My mother and her were very close.  
ed

ED14A870-595D-4658-8B8B-DD4973EC5184.jpeg

25738EEE-CD48-4322-820F-3C0DAC4D06F8.jpeg

Edited by Ed Silvester
Ed Silvester

Ha.  I’ve just seen my Sister Jane has commented here already.  Great minds and all that!  

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Ed,

Most interesting, indeed!

Could you perhaps give me a pen-portrait of Barbara Balding, please?

A snapshot of a visit would be super, if such a thing exists - who knows? As the late John Tamplin, MBE, TD, once said: If you don't ask, you don't get...

Sorry to be such a pest!

Kindest regards,

Kim.