Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Charles Dennis BALDING: Another Image?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Barry,

Tantalizing! 

I will add that to my on-going Manuscript straightaway and unleash my TNA Researcher to find his Officers Papers in the New Year (a Happy one, by the way!).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Here is the entire C. D. Balding medal g734140651_Baldingmedalgroup.jpg.b4f2526411ebe51e75473f3ff0c47f23.jpgroup...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

FYI...

1915 Charles Dennis Balding is shown on the Berkshire, Aldermaston, Ownership Electoral Register  as a Lodger at the Laurels, Padworth, renting a furnished sitting room and bedroom from his mother  also one Henry Rivers lodging......

Regards Barry

Dear Chris,

Yes, I saw that and was suitably enthused. 

I have already formulated a message to my British Library Researcher, Janice (I am situated in sw Germany), to tackle that once the dust has settled and that we can start working on The Life of Balding, in 2020!

The same goes for TNA - who may or may not have Balding Officer Papers (which is the advantage of IA and IAROs who were previously British Army officers).

I am genuinely grateful to you for finding this, and one can only hope that photos of Major Balding will emerge, to compliment the officer group photo that I have...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

The Supplement of the 1941 Indian Army List: War Services would seem to indicate the Mesopotamia Service of C. D. Balding 1069503110_1941SupplementIAListWarServices.jpg.a34c227e0a03988434688ae36294bc0a.jpgwith 1/113th Infantry in 1918.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Following on from postings above the following are London Gazette notifications of various appointments and promotions for Charles Dennis Balding. There appears to be some confusion/overlapping of I.A.R.O. and Indian Army notifications. 

Indian Army, 2nd Lt. Balding, attd. 113th Infantry, admitted to the Indian Army on probation 11 April 1917 and to be Lt. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30565/page/3003 heading on page 3001

I.A.R.O., to be acting Capt. whilst Company Commander of Allahabad University Inf., Indian Defence Force, 1 November 1917 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30887/page/10561

I.A.R.O., relinquished the acting rank of Capt. on ceasing to Command a Company of an Indian Defence Force Unit https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31212/page/3025

Appointment to the Indian Army confirmed 11 April 1918 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31255/page/4046

Indian Defence Force to be acting Capt. whilst Adjutant, attached 1/113th Infantry, from 28 November 1918 to 23 February 1919 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31624/page/13279

Indian Army, Lts. to be Capts. C. D. Balding 9 September 1919  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31708/page/16041

Indian Army promotion to Capt. ante-dated to 30 August 1919 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32886/page/8540

Indian Army, promoted to the rank of Major 30 August 1933 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33984/page/6429

Indian Army, transferred to the Special Unemployed List 1 April 1939 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34647/page/5035

Indian Army, Major C. D. Balding, Special Unemployed List, retires 22 March 1943 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36300/page/5599

Dear Harry,

Many thanks for commenting on the confusion and overlapping from IARO to IA. 

I may or may not find his Officers Papers (he was an ex-British Army officer, which raises the chances!), which will possibly solve the conundrum...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

There is a catalogue entry for an  Indian Army Service file at the British Library

Catalogue details:

Title: 

Balding, Charles Dennis

Collection Area: India Office Records and Private Papers 

Reference: IOR/L/MIL/14/1126 

Creation Date: 1914-1943 

Extent and Access: 
Extent:
1 file 

Language: English

Contents and Scope: Contents: 

Highest Rank: Major 

Regiment: 3/20 Burma Rifles ; Assam Rifles ; 113 I; 

Date of commission: 9 Dec Emergency Commission 1914 

Date of release: ret 22 Mar 1943 

The record is part of "Indian Army Records of Service"

IOR/L/MIL/14/239-72481 : c 1901-1947

Cheers

Maureen

• Admin
2 hours ago, Maureene said:

There is a catalogue entry for an  Indian Army Service file at the British Library

Catalogue details:

Title: 

Balding, Charles Dennis

Collection Area: India Office Records and Private Papers 

Reference: IOR/L/MIL/14/1126 

Creation Date: 1914-1943 

Extent and Access: 
Extent:
1 file 

Language: English

Contents and Scope: Contents: 

Highest Rank: Major 

Regiment: 3/20 Burma Rifles ; Assam Rifles ; 113 I; 

Date of commission: 9 Dec Emergency Commission 1914 

Date of release: ret 22 Mar 1943 

The record is part of "Indian Army Records of Service"

IOR/L/MIL/14/239-72481 : c 1901-1947

Cheers

Maureen

I don't know how you do it Maureene, every time I try to find such a record in their catalogue I fail. Is there a secret trick?

David

Dear All, and David & Maureen,

Many thanks for your efforts, it all looks very encouraging. 

How fortuitous that Major Balding decided to - as it were - share his files and photos with us!

He is rather better-documented than most, which is very satisfying, and my British Library researcher will look at all that for me (I am in sw Germany).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

7 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

... every time I try to find such a record in their catalogue I fail. Is there a secret trick?

David

David, you need to search in the Archives and Manuscripts catalogue

From the "Explore the British Library" page

http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1452928171364&vid=BLVU1&fromLogin=true

scroll down to, and click on   "Explore Archives and Manuscripts".  Note sometimes the full "Explore the British Library" page is slow to load, and initially all you see is the Search for the Main Catalogue

I used Search terms Balding and IOR  (which is Indian Office Records) as I was aware that the Service records were part of the Indian Office Records, to narrow down the results.  There may be additional records if you omit the term IOR

Cheers

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

You have done us all a great Service. Many thanks.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear David,

No apologies needed.

The Major Balding thread is proceeding very satisfactorily...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

The Indian Army Confidential Reports for C. D. Balding, from 1917 to 1938 have been secured. Unfortunately, other service papers dealing with his Movements seem to have Gone Walkabout. 

His Service in Mesopotamia has not become immediately apparent - until just after the Armistice, that is (Iraq).

One wonders how he qualified for the Victory Medal (named as LIEUT. C. D. BALDING.)? Irritatingly, his War Services show post-Great War Dates...

Meanwhile, a circa 1915 named group of 2/5 Hampshire officers in India has been sighted, but is - tantalizingly - 1466078519_1941SupplementIAListWarServices.jpg.3a3e27f3199ba8add0e0a68be824113c.jpgnot yet in my hands.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear sadbrewer,

Super! Many thanks for this. 

His Diary fragments are preserved at the BL, including mention of Cricket Matches played by officers (and ORs?) of 2/5 Hampshires in 1915.

They had their Passage to India, at a time when more first-rate battalions were being thrown into the fighting on the Western Front.

DIVORCE:-

Kind GWFs have told me about his first marriage - but are his his divorce papers available?

The thing is, this divorce apparently sent him into a years-long spell of depression, the poor man, during which he was on the Sick List. He returned to Regtl Service (and happily re-married in 1942) before requesting to be put on the S.U.L. - on less onerous duties (Adj., second-rate Units), and made himself regimentally useful until 1943 and retirement.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

6 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear sadbrewer,

Super! Many thanks for this. 

His Diary fragments are preserved at the BL, including mention of Cricket Matches played by officers (and ORs?) of 2/5 Hampshires in 1915.

They had their Passage to India, at a time when more first-rate battalions were being thrown into the fighting on the Western Front.

DIVORCE:-

Kind GWFs have told me about his first marriage - but are his his divorce papers available?

The thing is, this divorce apparently sent him into a years-long spell of depression, the poor man, during which he was on the Sick List. He returned to Regtl Service (and happily re-married in 1942) before requesting to be put on the S.U.L. - on less onerous duties (Adj., second-rate Units), and made himself regimentally useful until 1943 and retirement.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

If the divorce was in England and Wales 1858-1937 there should be an 80% chance of his record surviving at the National Archives, Kew. After 1937 a much lesser chance.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/#4-divorce-case-files-1858-1937

Dear All,

1) Belay the Divorce red herring.

It was caused by my carelessly overlooking Information given by a kind and eagle-eyed GWF member: namely that his first wife died in 1940 at his parents home in UK.

This seems to have caused his depression and being on the Sick List for two years.

However, he made a Comeback and served with the Burma Rifles as 2iC again, briefly, before requesting to be put on the Supernumerary Unemployed List. Subsequent WWII Active Service followed, before retiring in 1943 upon the age limit.

He remarried in 1942 at Srinegar (Kashmir) - also Information supplied by a GWF wallah, to whom I am mighty grateful - and they stayed together until his death in 1966...

2) I have found a 1918 1004321574_1918ConfidentialReportLieutC.D.Balding.jpg.dcb005b0dbba0932daaf38261495e9c5.jpgdocument which would suggest the qualification for his Victory Medal (LIEUT.), just before the Great War ended.

3) Thanks to the 1939 cricket match clipping, it seems he was an Old Boy of Reading School. I immediately wrote to the Headmaster, requesting Sports and/or House photos, plus a Journal entry. Super!

The search for yet more Information and Images (aka photos) continues: my BL researcher is momentarily working on this. Watch this space!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

British Library requests are ongoing, including more Information and Images.

Meanwhile, his one-time mounted for display group has now been stitched together as a swing mounted gr961804465_MajorBaldinggroupremounted7Jan2020originalribbons.jpg.bc60cebe66d26253c52d1503ec872627.jpgoup.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

Here is Lieut C. D. Balding, probably with members of the Allahabad University Battalion, India Defence Force (I. D. F.), of which he was a Coy. Cdr. circa 1917/18.

Handwritten on the reverse:-

'Presented to Captain C. D. Balding Esq., By his most obedient and Respect ful (sic) Sepoys...'2058673160_BaldingandSepoysatSecunderabad.jpg.cb106f6c6a2aca92a72477d98c76584a.jpg (Followed by three names, difficult to decipher.)

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear David,

Thanks for that. It IS worth while to Keep At It, despite various brick-walls and so on.

Also a two-page spread from (possibly) an "Illustrated London News" or some-such came to light. It is too large to attach, but my son might be able to reduce it enough to post.

The Headline is 'Officers of the 2nd 5th Battalion Hampshire Regiment.'

30 officers photographed ca. 1915 at Secunderabad:

Lieuts. Balding, Stallard, MacEntire, Lathour (I), Palethorpe, Keany, Toogood, Spencer-Smith, Pike, Lathour (II), Jenner, Burnett, Mead, Ellis, Robertson, Butcher, Dr. Class, Capt Atkey, Capt Crosson, Major A. L. S. Johnson (?), Lt-Col Campbell Day, Capt Mitchell (Royal Sussex regt), Capt Archdale, Capt Burnett, Lieut and QM Pigden, Lieuts Andrews, McAndrew, Gibbings, Tollemache, Kay. (Lieuts Gibbings, Stallard and Tollemache attd from 6th Battalion).

Kindest regards,

Kim.