Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Preservation of Vickers ammunition belt

Ray76

I have been given a small section of a Vickers machine gun ammunition belt that was brought back from France after WW1. It is in very poor condition and the cloth is starting to fray and disintegrate with age. Can any members provide any advice on what can be done to stop any further disintegration? I wonder if there is any type of preserving liquid that it could be soaked with that would stabilise it but also leave it flexible? It is only a small section of belt that is large enough to carry about 5 rounds and my idea is to stabilise it, insert some inert rounds and mount it for display purposes one of our MGC/OCA events. In its present delicate condition I am afraid that it would just fall apart in my hands if I were to try and insert any rounds. Hope someone out there has an idea, I've already tried a Google search but nothing of any use has come back.

If the cotton fibre is compromised there is very little you can do. Inserting rounds will be likely to tear the fibres apart. Even if you successfully get them in, depending on how it is supported on display, the weight of the rounds will cause relatively rapid deterioration. 

May I suggest, get a small section of WW2 belt with brass tabs that looks very similar. Place the drill rounds in that and frame both together with suitable explanatory information.

There are a variety of ways of "restoring" compromised fabric, but these are really not suitable to this application.

Ray, I'd agree with not putting anything in the belt. They're frail enough in good condition after 100 years, let alone in anything less than that. Perhaps frame it between two pieces of glass where it's compressed and held?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

WWI ammo belts are not that difficult to find if you require a full or partial example. If you only want a 'display section' then the advice for a WWII piece is good. ON the topic of the MGCOCA is it still active?

Mark 

Mark Finneran - Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I've been away sunning myself for a few days and couldn't respond with my mobile phone. Yes, the MGCOCA is still active and I am the Grantham Area Representative.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.machineguncorps.co.uk

Or there is also a Facebook group: Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades' Association (MGC/OCA)