Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Airship Incendiary Bombs 1916 - Trailing Ribbon

TullochArd

I was looking at this splendid example of a cylindrical incendiary bomb in Rawtenstall a few weeks ago.  The history of this particular bomb has been covered in an earlier forum and it's construction is well documented elsewhere.  I hope to get a transcript of the two labels, seen here in magnificent Teutonic script, at some point but an immediate question is what is the the purpose of the long trailing ribbons?  The ribbons are white, in heavy weave fabric and similar in dimension and type to the old British mine tape.  Current speculation is some sort of safety measure to put distance between the device and airship just before release or are they simply an observation aid.  What does the panel think?    

L21.jpg

My understanding is that the tape was used to stabilise the bomb as it fell, just like on the early hand grenades, so that the percussion cap in the nose would set off the incendiary on impact. Later PuW bombs had fins to stabilise them.

Fovant,  Many thanks for that.  Stabilisation makes far more sense than the other two suggestions.  Stabilisation it is.  Much appreciated. TullochArd

Thanks Ken,  The note on the diagram in your link nails it 100% …….. and supports Fovant's informed understanding ...……."Hanger with streamer attached to ensure a steady fall"  Very much appreciated.  Ian