Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bringing Private Edward Goddard’s grave marker and Memorial Plaque back to the UK

Fazakerley

Can we say that as to the cause of their death, and the date, "something" happened in the Outtersteene area (France), on 18 (maybe 17) August ?

Maybe (?) we can.

I started from the assumption that if these 15 men died of their wounds in Outtersteene, this means that it is very likely that other men of the 48th Coy were killed when that "something" happened. And if this happened in Belgium, then their graves should be found in Belgium.

So I checked the graves of 'all' 48th Coy men in France and Belgium in the period 10 to 22 August 1917. And I only found these 15 Outtersteene men. Meaning that none were killed or died of their wounds in Belgium.

Am I right when I conclude that "something" happened in / near Outtersteene ?

Yes, I know, of course it is possible that "something" happened in Belgium, that many men were wounded (dozens even), but that no one was killed though, that all the wounded men were taken to Outtersteene, and that 15 of them died their of their wounds ..

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
typo

• 1 year later...
On 18/12/2019 at 17:26, Aurel Sercu said:

Can we say that as to the cause of their death, and the date, "something" happened in the Outtersteene area (France), on 18 (maybe 17) August ?

Maybe (?) we can.

I started from the assumption that if these 15 men died of their wounds in Outtersteene, this means that it is very likely that other men of the 48th Coy were killed when that "something" happened. And if this happened in Belgium, then their graves should be found in Belgium.

So I checked the graves of 'all' 48th Coy men in France and Belgium in the period 10 to 22 August 1917. And I only found these 15 Outtersteene men. Meaning that none were killed or died of their wounds in Belgium.

Am I right when I conclude that "something" happened in / near Outtersteene ?

Yes, I know, of course it is possible that "something" happened in Belgium, that many men were wounded (dozens even), but that no one was killed though, that all the wounded men were taken to Outtersteene, and that 15 of them died their of their wounds ..

Aurel

Hope this isn't too late.

Percy Warren was awarded the D.C.M. for actions at Hazebrouck with the 48th Company Labour Corps, 18th Aug. 1917. He was also formerly Linolcshire Regiment.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Peterhastie