Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AOC Organization

Piper42nd

I think I understand how battalions are organized but have no clue how the AOC was organized.  If you were an armourer attached to the 1st Black Watch, for example, where did you fit into the AOC? 

If the AOC paralleled the ASC model, he would have belonged to a company and then been detached for service with the unit. Have you looked at the LLT

All the best,

Gary

Chris,

I looked there but the AOC portion is under development. Other sources focus on depots, etc. and not the lower level organizations. I know there is a good, extensive history of the AOC but I can't remember the title of it.

All the best,

Gary

I have a copy of A History of the Army Ordnance Services by Maj Gen Forbes but it doesn't explain the organization.   What I'm interested in is the structure.  Is it made up of brigades, divisions, regiments, etc like the infantry or (probably) something else.  All help is much appreciated.

Regards 

Harvey 

Harvey,

i poked around the web and saw several references to the histories of the Indian, New Zealand and Pakistan AOCs. During the British period, they would have had similar organizations to the Imperial AOC. It might be useful to look at these. There are oblique references to company organizations.  This makes sense as the Ordnance Field Parks seem to date from the SWW period. Good luck with yiur research!

All the best,

Gary

1 hour ago, Piper42nd said:

I have a copy of A History of the Army Ordnance Services by Maj Gen Forbes but it doesn't explain the organization.   What I'm interested in is the structure.  Is it made up of brigades, divisions, regiments, etc like the infantry or (probably) something else.  All help is much appreciated.

Regards 

Harvey 

A recent purchase, one of 5/6 cards showing the same man; unfortunately I was outbid on the other cards;

Pte - A-Cpl. James Lever Burdekin. 015547. "No.9 Coy. AOC, Cairo Egypt"

Burdekin. A.O.C. (2).jpg

14 hours ago, Piper42nd said:

Regards 

Harvey 

In peacetime the AOC was divided into companies, but during the war units of that size or smaller were normally only employed on the Lines of Communication, mainly as stores depots and ordnance workshops (two or three of the latter being attached to each Corps, and similar numbers to each Army). One armourer-sergeant was attached to each infantry battalion and cavalry regiment and an armament artificer was attached to each artillery brigade. There was a Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services (a major) on the staff of each division, and higher ranking officers on the staff of Corps and Armies. The overall organisation was more similar to that of the AVC than the ASC.

Ron

So possibly the armourer-serjeant assigned to a battalion could have been from "Small Arms Company No. X, AOC" or something like that? 

Harvey

No, he would be from "Armourer Section, AOC" without a specified AOC company.

Ron

I'm confused then.  You mention that in peacetime the AOC was organized into companies.  So it seems like just before war was declared our A-S would have been in a company.  In addition the photo GWF1967 posted said the fellow was from No.9 Coy, AOC.  

AOC Companies were not operational units. They were peacetime administrative formations, and the nine existing in 1914 were distributed as follows. They were mainly divided into three or more sections.

No. 1 Co: Aldershot Command

No. 2 Co: Southern Command

No. 3 Co: Irish Command

No. 4 Co: Aldershot Command

No. 5 Co: Western, Northern and Scottish Commands

No. 6 Co: Eastern Command

Nos. 7 & 8 Cos: Woolwich (Depot)

No. 9 Co: Mediterranean and South Africa.

Hence anyone in Egypt would be in No. 9 Co, as per GWF's photo.

There were also small independent detachments in most of the other overseas garrisons. India had its own Ordnance Department.

I hope that this makes matters clearer.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton