Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Don Regiano

34th company, machine gun corps 1916

Don Regiano

I am trying to find the war diary for the 34th company of the MGC for September to December 1916.  I understand it was part of 11th Division.  TNA lists the diary as being under WO 95/1821/3 but, once again, Ancestry has defeated me.  I cannot find it and, at the moment, I have given up going through the 13,000 documents that era listed there.

Does anybody happen to have come across it or am I committed to trawling through the list or, I guess, downloading it from TNA if it is the correct diary.

Thanks.

Reg

PRC
24 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

I am trying to find the war diary for the 34th company of the MGC for September to December 1916.  I understand it was part of 11th Division.  TNA lists the diary as being under WO 95/1821/3 but, once again, Ancestry has defeated me.

I take it you have tried Various (Infantry Bridages, 11th Division) as your criteria in the search field "Regiment or Unit" .

Sorry - as I don't subscribe I can't send you a link but that will bring up pieces that include the War Diary of the 34th Infantry Brigade - looks like there are three pieces that could potentially include the 34th Company MGC War Diary that you are looking for.

(And the spelling is theirs not mine!)

Cheers,

Peter

Don Regiano
42 minutes ago, PRC said:

I take it you have tried Various (Infantry Bridages, 11th Division) as your criteria in the search field "Regiment or Unit" .

Sorry - as I don't subscribe I can't send you a link but that will bring up pieces that include the War Diary of the 34th Infantry Brigade - looks like there are three pieces that could potentially include the 34th Company MGC War Diary that you are looking for.

(And the spelling is theirs not mine!)

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter.  Yes I had tried with the mis-spelling too (as I had come across that trick previously)but to no avail.  However, your suggestion gave me a clue to a different route on Ancestry which has resulted in success - so many thanks!

Reg