Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Division Engineers

brianmorris547

My interest in 1149 Richard Jones, RND (Engineers) began when I noticed the attached report of his death in Gallipoli that appeared in the Bolton Journal 20/08/1915. He lived in the next street but one to my grandfather, was 18 months younger and both worked at the same Plumbers business named in the report. They must have known each other. 

I have looked at the RND Gallipoli WDs on Ancestry but I have only seen Sappers referred to in the RND Signals Company. Casualties are named but I found no trace of Spr Jones.

A number check on FMP brought up his record under Royal Marines which shows that he was born on 11/02/1889 and enlisted on 09/02/1915 in Manchester. He was born in Daubhill, Bolton and was a pipe fitter by trade. It confirms the newspaper report that he was k in a on 22/07/1915. The card says D Dead which I presume is declared dead.

If anyone can give any further info on his death or on the work of the RND Engineers in Gallipoli I would be grateful. I have tried the search facility and TLLT. I will try CWGC.

Thank you

Brian

EDIT: CWGC just shows Helles Memorial, Royal Marines. I will try and see if I can find out the Unit that A M Connolly was CO of.

002.JPG

001 (2).JPG

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Thanks Martin

17 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I will try and see if I can find out the Unit that A M Connolly was CO of.

A  tricky one. Major Arthur Matthew CONNOLLY was an officer of the Reserve of Officers of the Royal Marines. He had served in HMS JUPITER early in the war but had been demobilised in March 1915. My best guess is that he was subsequently employed at the Depot RMLI, Deal. Where he was probably dealing with the admin of the men of the RNDE. Hence his signature on the ledger record.

17 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I have looked at the RND Gallipoli WDs on Ancestry but I have only seen Sappers referred to in the RND Signals Company. Casualties are named but I found no trace of Spr Jones.

Only the war diary of No.1 Field Coy RNDE survives (with that of the Signal Coy you have found), It is in ADM 137/3069 at Kew. Unfortunately Sapper JONES was in No.3 Field Coy. He was one of four RND k.i.a. on 22 July 1915 and the only man of the RNDE. There was no major action on that date so he was probably a victim of shrapnel or sniping.

Edited by horatio2

Like Major Connolly, you can also skip a search for Lt Comdr Randall Wells (mentioned in the newspaper) as I understand he was with the UK based records and not involved on the ground at Gallipoli

10 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Like Major Connolly, you can also skip a search for Lt Comdr Randall Wells (mentioned in the newspaper) as I understand he was with the UK based records and not involved on the ground at Gallipoli

Spot on. He ran the RND Records Office, 47 Victoria Street, London SW. Most Gallipoli casualty notification letters were signed by him.

8 hours ago, horatio2 said:

A  tricky one. Major Arthur Matthew CONNOLLY was an officer of the Reserve of Officers of the Royal Marines. He had served in HMS JUPITER early in the war but had been demobilised in March 1915. My best guess is that he was subsequently employed at the Depot RMLI, Deal. Where he was probably dealing with the admin of the men of the RNDE. Hence his signature on the ledger record.

Only the war diary of No.1 Field Coy RNDE survives (with that of the Signal Coy you have found), It is in ADM 137/3069 at Kew. Unfortunately Sapper JONES was in No.3 Field Coy. He was one of four RND k.i.a. on 22 July 1915 and the only man of the RNDE. There was no major action on that date so he was probably a victim of shrapnel or sniping.

horatio2

Thank you. I guessed that A M Connolly might be in an admin role.

How do you know that Spr Jones was in No 3 FC. I am not familiar with Naval research. Is there something similar to SDGW.

6 hours ago, michaeldr said:

There is a v very brief over view of the RND Engineers here in Blumberg's 'Britain's Sea Soldiers'

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89100004282&view=1up&seq=521

michaeldr

Thank you for the link. His period of training would have been short if he enlisted in February 1915 and arrived in Gallipoli in May. I will check the Bolton papers again, it seems strange that he enlisted in Manchester (if that is what the R 23 says) and not Bolton. My gf enlisted into the County Palatine RE in March 1915 at Bolton Town Hall and recruiting for the West Lancs Div RE (TF) was also in progress. 

All interesting stuff

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

How do you know that Spr Jones was in No 3 FC.

The information in his Attesation Pack gives this detail which has been carried forward to the RND Roll of Honour (Findmy past).

The Attestation Pack of documents for the RNDE service of Sapper Jones is held in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy). The pack will have more details of his service including JONES' RNDE Record Card. Annoyingly, the NMRN is not accepting any enquiries at present and is unlikely to be able to provide copies of records until the middle of 2020 (at earliest?). Worth a follow-up next year?

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

it seems strange that he enlisted in Manchester (if that is what the R 23 says) and not Bolton.

There was perhaps no RN/RM recruiting office in Bolton, Manchester being the nearest.

horatio2

Thank you.

Brian

11 hours ago, horatio2 said:

There was perhaps no RN/RM recruiting office in Bolton, Manchester being the nearest.

The Navy List confirms that there was no Bolton Recruiting Office for RN and RM. The Manchester office was at 289 Deansgate

22 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I note two of his brothers also died:

557102943_GWFJonesRCWGC3Brothers.JPG.afdeabd1a163b684d9dbb30e0e9be7dd.JPG

Thanks Charlie

I will check these out in the papers on Tuesday.

Brian