Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Walter Sawford

maudson

I am trying to research a Royal Marine Ernest Walter Sawford No.16385. He joined up in 1912 and spent the rest of his life as a Private in the Marines dying in 1934. I have downloaded the list of the ships etc that he served on. My worry is that the Navy names its shore bases as ships but also has ships with the same name. Is there a way of telling if HMS Dolphin  1931-33 refers to a ship or the submarine base at Gosport? My other question is if Argonaut (Glory) 1913-14  refers to two ships. Any ideas welcome.

David

In reverse order, he was serving on GLORY, for which ARGONAUT was the depot ship until returned to sea service later in 1914.

DOLPHIN was the site of the shore establishment for submarines right through the 20th century, 1904-1999 to be precise. 

Many thanks SeaJane. I thought this was the case but am always wary of blundering in my ignorance. (like Lord Haw Haw in WW2 sinking Butlins or similar

David

If I recall right he sank PEMBROKE (shore base at Chatham). My grandfather, who served in the Dardanelles/Caspian in the Great War, taught in PEMBROKE 1945-52.

On 13/12/2019 at 16:06, maudson said:

spent the rest of his life as a Private in the Marines dying in 1934.

Not quite. He was discharged to pension after 21 years RMLI (as a Private) and RM (as a Marine from 1923) service on 28 July 1933. It looks as though he then joined the Royal Marine Police as a pensioner special constable. This force was the forerunner of the Admiralty Constabulary (1949).

It has been noted that "The RMP was far from a toothless guard dog ... Applicants were  accepted only after replacing substandard teeth with dentures at their own expense."

Edited by horatio2

Many thanks horatio2 for your additional information about the RMP which I would have completely overlooked. I need to look now if he died of natural causes.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Just to say thanks fro everyone's help. I have now posted his story on my Ringstead People site. If you do take a look and find any mistakes I would be grateful if you let me know.

Best Wishes

David