Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers of WW1 from Bonniconlon/Kilgarvin/Glenree, Co. Mayo

Patrick J. Clarke

Can you give  list of the names that you already have

Hi Lieut.: Starting with the four Murray brothers who died: John Murray, Martin Murray, Thomas Murray, Glenree and the fourth: Michael Murray, Bonniconn; Pte. James Cabry, Pte. John Cowley, Pte. James Crean, Pte. Patrick Carroll, Cpl. John Gallagher, Sto. Patrick Jordan, Pte. Patrick Kelly, Pte. Anthony Loftus, Pte. Henry Loftus, Sgt. James Mullen, Pte. Martin McKenzie, Pte. Anthony Neary and Pte. James Neary. If you want their addresses I will sent them on. Addresses such as: Glenree, Carralavin, Chaffhill, Newtown, Drumsheen, Bofield. Thanks for reply.

2 hours ago, Patrick J. Clarke said:

Searching for soldiers' names  from the Bonniconlon/Kilgarvin/Glenree, Co. Mayo. Any help would be appreciated.

If you contact Mayo Peace Park and Garden of Remembrance they should be able to help you. Their website isn’t working but they have a facebook page.

Margaret

Thanks for that Margaret, but the majority of the names on the monument from the Great War were researched by me over a period of some years and are in my book Mayo Comrades of the Great War 1914-1919.

Just now, Patrick J. Clarke said:

Thanks for that Margaret, but the majority of the names on the monument from the Great War were researched by me over a period of some years and are in my book Mayo Comrades of the Great War 1914-1919.

Oops.

I haven’t been to visit but it’s an impressive memorial. 

Margaret

Tapping in keyword Bonniconlon into FMP gives a few hits. You will need a sub to go further (or perhaps local library access). NB includes a few pre-wars who may not have served Great War ?

I think you've already done a CWGC interrogation on same basis ?

600664890_GWFBonniconlonFMPHits.JPG.6f924bc965dc764a2ff984621e618d8e.JPG

Only Duncan seems to be new to your list.

1034130046_GWFBonniconlonICRC.JPG.2e672fe2de7d5d22b9624adef575d1f6.JPG

Cannot find his MIC ?     Michael DURCAN, 204498 (prev 7885)

ICRC cards PA 27998 (durcan) and PA 25572 (durcan)  and R52182 (duncan) and PA33803 (duncan)

Edited by charlie962

Hello P.J. 'Addresses such as........' is really not helpful, how would we know whether you only want the men from that townland, but not the parish it is in?, or which other townlands you wish to include/exclude. If you list ALL the townlands, and parishes you wish to cover it would help immensely. 

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom: It's coming together! Thanks for the help you and the other members of the Forum have given. Some of the problems with these townlands in the area of Bonniconlon, and indeed, Bonniconlon itself, which is only a small village, were part of County Sligo, before the boundaries were changed. As the man said: "Onwards and outwards" or whatever. Cheers over the festive season to all on the Forum.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some names here that I cannot seem to find, like Craig, Gillard, etc. Where do I find them? I have tried the Service Records, etc., but so far . . . .Can you help? Thanks and have a good year.

You must give us the information you have on them to proceed PJ.