Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Western Front Association (WFA)

Gareth Davies

Gareth,

a. tried to …

b. N/A

c. fact is that to pay subscription at the time was either through the national branch (Belgian part never really answered any of my e-mails even though I hinted I'd love to contribute now and then too… and paying in England for a subscription from belgium… let's just blame it on the banks and leave it at that…

I also agree with Michelle that I thought the WFA very absent during the Centenary commemorations.

M.

25 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Gareth,

a. tried to …

b. N/A

c. fact is that to pay subscription at the time was either through the national branch (Belgian part never really answered any of my e-mails even though I hinted I'd love to contribute now and then too… and paying in England for a subscription from belgium… let's just blame it on the banks and leave it at that…

I also agree with Michelle that I thought the WFA very absent during the Centenary commemorations.

M.

The Belgian branch is a totally different organisation than the British WFA although it uses the same name (it is affiliated or something like that, I remember a short discussion some years ago when the British WFA gave the impression of wanting to annex the Belgian WFA). I used to be a board member of the Belgian WFA. It's strange though that you didn't get any answers to e-mails as I know the chairman is quite active to reply to all questions.

Jan

I was a member for a number of months in 1994/95. I let my membership lapse I suppose because I didn’t value it all that much. I remember it as being too expensive for what it was.

Hello Gareth

A: I joined in the late 1980s, having heard about the WFA on battlefield tours, particularly from Bob Wyatt. One of my touring friends used to give me a lift to meetings and I attended regularly, but since ill-health forced him to stop driving, and the branch moved its venue and meeting days, I have only been able to attend occasionally.

I submitted some articles for STAND TO! on unit organisation, as a result of which I was asked to succeed Col Terry Cave as Historical Information Officer, a post on the National Committee which I held for fifteen years. By that time the focus of research was shifting to the Internet and it became harder for me to keep up with the sources: also, after 15 years, I felt that a fresh look at the task was desirable.

B and C not applicable.

Ron

a.  No

b.  No

c.  I do not seem to have see much advertising for talks, events etc or outreach many from WFA branches, especially over the centenary, however this could entirely be my fault. I notice on social media (yep, sorry I had to mention it, but it is a very important platform) how active some branches are in comparison to others. For example, the Suffolk branch and its footprint on social media really grabs my interest and attention with high profile speakers and events, but that is a long way from me. If am I honest it seems to be the only WFA branch that has caught my attention over the past few years.  

Regards

Toby

Edited by Toby Brayley

16 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

a.  Are you a WFA member. If so what encouraged you to join? What encourages you to stay?

b.  Have you previously been a member of the WFA? If so, why did you leave?

c.  If you have heard of the WFA but haven't joined, despite your very clear interest in the Great War, why haven't you joined.

a) No. I originally joined because of my thirst for knowledge and that it seemed like an important organisation for anyone with a passion for the subject. When I became a professional battlefield guide on the Western Front, I felt that being a member of the premier Great War interest group would add to my standing. I have yet to discover any of my hundreds of clients who have heard of the WFA. I became similarly disillusioned with the Guild of Battlefield Guides

b) I was a member for many years but cancelled my subscription as I felt it wasn't value for money. I skimmed through the magazines in a couple of minutes and rarely read an article through. This forum is hundreds of times more valuable than my WFA membership, and it's free. There was a Somme Branch which was very active 5 or 6 six years ago, with monthly meetings and some good speakers. The branch died when the then chairman handed over the reins. In any case, attending branch meetings doesn't require membership of the WFA.

I would like access to the Pension files, but as I have no idea what they contain, I don't know if that would justify my subscription fee.

I can think of no other reason to be a member.

Edited by Ken Lees

A. Joined in 1990 after two of Graham Parker’s tours. Been a member since apart from a lapse of three years when I worked abroad. Why do I stay? The six publications each year,

B. NA

C.  NA

It is probably best if I PM you with my views. What is the closing date for your survey?

Hi Gareth,

I am not a member and haven't been a member, mainly because my first interest was the Salonika campaign where my Grandfather served not the Western Front, however my interest in the Western Front has grown as I have started researching other members of my family who served. I plan to retire at the end of March next year and I am considering joining the WFA, primarily to get access to the pension records, but also to look at what other benefits membership provides.    

2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

The Belgian branch is a totally different organisation than the British WFA although it uses the same name (it is affiliated or something like that, I remember a short discussion some years ago when the British WFA gave the impression of wanting to annex the Belgian WFA). I used to be a board member of the Belgian WFA. It's strange though that you didn't get any answers to e-mails as I know the chairman is quite active to reply to all questions.

Jan

no problems… I guess it was a mail-problem.

At the time I had a Skynet address and that brought be nothing but trouble because it often landed in people's spams…

M.

Hi Gareth,

a) I was interested in FWW and initially came across GWF  via an internet search, I read references to WFA on GWF and as the Yorkshire branch meets in York, which is 30 minutes away, attended a meeting and subsequently joined. I like the varied branch speaker programme and although I can only get to around half the Saturday meetings due to work commitments, feel that this, plus the magazines, is worth the membership

b) n/a

c) n/a

My only two suggestions:

1) Better social media presence: they did have a good twitter presence for a while but I believe those responsible have now left. Social media is such a cost-effective way of communication

2) Don't try and re-invigorate the WFA discussion forum; I think that would probably just duplicate what the GWF does.

Steve

Gareth

a) I enjoy (and occasionally contribute to) ST! and use the archive often. The nearest branch to me is 2000 miles away, although I do get an email informing me when it meets. 

Mike

Yes I am a member of the WFA. I became interested in WW1 having been set a 'Winter Paper' by the CO, he was keen of these things and hoped it might pep up the quality of Staff Writing. Deeper interest arrived when years later I started to research Grandfathers and Uncles who had fought.

I had put off joining for many years simply because I worked a 12 hours days/nights shift system after leaving the Army and thought it a little pointless to pay a membership and perhaps not be able to attend many of the local monthly meeting due to work commitments. On retirement I joined.

I enjoy attending the monthly meeting it is well planned and well organised and each month the variety of speakers talk on a variety of subjects. I enjoy the magazines and the many resources being a member affords me.

Regards

I'd seen snippets in my local paper giving notice of talks to come at my local branch; after hivering and hovering for a few years decided to get off my backside and actually go to one. 

I stayed because I enjoyed the company and the varied nature of the talks; went on a Branch Tour on the basis that if I hated it, no-one would force me to go again... but thankfully I loved it and have gone every year since.

After a few years being just a local member I thought it only proper that I join the national WFA, so have been for 5 years or so.

I really appreciate the President's Conference at the Tally Ho! - one fewer talks so easier on the backside than the GWF Conference...  And as for the Pension Records - what an achievement.

As to our local Branch, it seems to operate quite independently from National WFA in that national affairs impinge upon us not at all, it seems.  The Affaire BdW was barely mentioned amongst we ordinary members.

So:principally the good company at our Branch Meetings is the reason I stay, with the Pension Records another good reason.

This is all useful stuff. And thank you to those who have sent me a PM. 

Yes I have been a member for nearly 30 years work has prevented me from attending the local meetings but that should change shortly, I think the quality of the publications is high and I enjoy reading them as I feel a lot of time and effort has gone into many of the articals submitted  I might even be tempted to do a talk on collecting books etc of the Great War lol

C. Not applicable.

A. and B. -  When the WFA was first formed, I asked the opinion of a real WW1 expert (you'd all recognise the name) about it.  The response was pretty negative, so I left it on one side.  However, I joined it sometime in the late 1980s or 90s possibly because they published a short article of mine, and then there was also a local branch where I lived for a time.  It didn't have many meetings, however, and by then my life was changing with young family, work etc.

When I moved from there in the mid-late 90s to a place nowhere remotely near any branch, the subs became a bit of a luxury, given my salary.  Also we only seemed to have a few mags. in the post each year (bear in mind this was before the internet got off the ground).  The articles in these also only occasionally interested me; and by about 2005 I didn't renew.  The next year I joined this Forum, since the immediacy of it, the genuine expertise, helpfulness, and varied topics (not just WF) got me hooked.

However, the ready access to Pensions Papers has now made me one of your newest members once again, and I can look forward to receiving any newsletters/mags as a bonus.  I'm still not that close to a branch - it'd be about a 50-80 mile round trip to the nearest two - so I'm not banking on turning up to a meeting unless there's something really worthwhile on offer. 

afterthought:

every now and then I ride my hobbyhorse to battle ........ I either get shouted down and indeed receive abuse from the WFA establishment, or ignored.

Simply this: the Bulletin is in my opinion a waste of money, space, and time. If ST! were to be quarterly and expanded to include the Branch news, this would be a step that any sensible organisation might undertake. More content, more often, and news would be more frequent

Apart from anything else, there appears to be no editorial policy for the content of the Bulletin  ....... some excellent articles clearly merit inclusion in ST!, some need vigorous pruning, and some are not at all good. Non-WFA members reading this might like to know that I do have a dog in the fight, having contributed a substantial number of articles to ST!

I have never seen anything to suggest that this rationalisation has been seriously considered. This topic is included here in public rather than an email/PM because I would like readers to at least focus on it for a moment. On the other hand, I do not want to start controversy or a major digression, so feel free to ignore!

Edited by Muerrisch
addendum

I'm mostly with Muerrish on this. The world has moved on, and we don't need two paper documents.I'm a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club who opted to receive my  monthly magazine in digital format. Each month I receive an email prompt with an invitation to LOG IN to view the item. That would surely, (regardless of frequency), be a better way to issue more urgent, up to date short items, keeing ST for the more meaty content.

I should add that I generally don't spend a lot of time on either WFA magazine, I jst conduct a skim, possibly read properly one or two items of personal interest, and then of course , a look through the book reviews, which are surely much improved under David's management.

If the Bulletin has a future, it does need redefining in purpose, and should within a reasonable time become a digital product.

Reference Post 42, I tend to agree. Not sure I really need photos of Branch functionaries standing next to graves, memorials, holes in the ground, either.

Lots of useful stuff here, thank you. 

40 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Lots of useful stuff here, thank you. 

One additional point.

The WFA does not inform Branches when there is someone who joins directly, i.e. not via the Branch. We had a couple of examples of people not knowing there was a Branch nearby, until they looked in the Bulletin, and then being very annoyed that the Branch (in this case, me) hadn't got in contact with them. Of course, we had no idea they existed.

Could they not send details to the nearest Branch to the address given? Not rocket science. Other organisations were doing this 50 years ago.

Hello Troops,

As a P.S. to my earlier post, back in 2007 I had the privilege to be a member of the Honour Guard at the unveiling of the Scottish monument on the Frezenberg ridge. At the reception following the event, my WFA badge was an easy introduction to fellow members, and the same badge also generated a few free drinks for those of us on parade! Made up for having a fly in my ear and the worlds press watching...

Joined the WFA in 1990 and did attend Yorkshire Branch meetings in York, when it was chaired by the redoubtable Alf Peacock, but allowed my membership to lapse as work commitments and the needs of a young family took priority. If I am honest the meetings with their  emphasis on battlefield operational aspects was a little limiting. Recently I have considered re-enlisting in the WFA and might try and get to a meeting next year to see how or if things have moved on.

5 hours ago, healdav said:

One additional point.

The WFA does not inform Branches when there is someone who joins directly, i.e. not via the Branch. We had a couple of examples of people not knowing there was a Branch nearby, until they looked in the Bulletin, and then being very annoyed that the Branch (in this case, me) hadn't got in contact with them. Of course, we had no idea they existed.

Could they not send details to the nearest Branch to the address given? Not rocket science. Other organisations were doing this 50 years ago.

I have been asked to say that HQ does now inform Branches of people nearby, and, presumably tells the people about the Branch!

6 hours ago, o j kirby said:

Hello Troops,

As a P.S. to my earlier post, back in 2007 I had the privilege to be a member of the Honour Guard 

Guard of Honour, please.