Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli 1915

ejwalshe

Soldiers of the Lancashire Fusiliers, part of 29th Division, are seen on board Trawler 318 before disembarking at 'W' and 'V' beaches off Cape Helles on 6th May 1915.  On 26 May 1915, the Lancashire Fusiliers were transferred to 125th Brigade of the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division.  Three midshipmen, George Drewry, Wilfred Malleson and Greg Russell, set out for a picnic during shore leave on the island of Imbros, 25th August 1915. Drewry and Malleson had just been awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery during the Gallipoli landings. General William Birdwood on his last visit to Anzac Cove, at midday on 19th December 1915; on the evening of that day the withdrawal began.  His last day at Anzac as the Commander of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps was 16 October 1915.  Officers and men of 26th Divisional Ammunition Train (Army Service Corps) playing football in Salonika, Christmas, 25 December 1915.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this here, it was nice to be able to put faces and places to some of the names that I have read of.

My interest is that my father's uncle was in the Howe Bn of the RND and served at Gallipoli.

Apparently, he received a stomach wound and was only able to eat, as described to me by his daughter, "slops" for the rest of his life.

But he did live until 1962.

I noted one of the slides actually shows the Howe Bn at inspection--a great find!

Regards,

JMB

It's may be worth double checking some of the captions

e.g.: at 10:04 “Lord Horatio Kitchener at Suvla Bay on Karakol Dagh, looking towards the Salt Lake, Koja Chemen Tepe and Chunuk Bair.” is in fact exactly the opposite.

K is at Anzac and he is looking towards Suvla.

'C' & 'B' Beaches are seen and the first headland is Nibrunesi Point with the high point seen behind 'B' Beach being Lala Baba.

The second headland (on the horizon) is Suvla Point which rises to the east (right) as Karakol Dagh and ultimately, Kiretch Tepe Sirt.