Remembered Today:

Henry Thomas Lackey 10th Battalion Duke of Wellingtons

Brian Lackey

Service no. 235398

Henry Thomas lackey

Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment), 10th Battalion

Died of wounds on 21 September 1917
Remembered at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium

I know the forum was a long time ago but I hoped to find some more information about my great grandfather and his regiment. We have no photos, no stories no reference

a point in the right direction or any help gratefully received

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Brian.As this was a very old thread, I have split your query into a new post.

Michelle 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may want to start with a quick look at his webpage on the Lijssenthoek Cemetry site - picture of his headstone and Medal Index Card.

http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en/address/10947/-henry-thomas-lackey.html

Has him down as enlisted September 1916.  The Medal Index Card, a purely administrative document prepared postwar to keep track of the issue of medals, shows he only qualified for the Victory Medal Medal and the British War Medal. That combination by itself would indicate he didn't enter a Theatre of War until some point after the start of January 1916.

The related Service Medal Roll, (Ancestry) will normally indicate which units he served with overseas. The 10th Battalion had been in France since August 1915 so he probably went out from his training unit as part of a general draft and was sent to the 10th Battalion from an Infantry Base Depot in France.

A liitle bit more on the 10th Battalion here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/loyal-north-lancashire-regiment/

and the 37th Division of which they were part. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/37th-division/

One of the actions the 37th Division is shown as taking part in is the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, part of the bigger battle of Third Ypres (aka Passchendaele)

The Lijssenthoek site refers to him being wounded on the Menin Road, but doesn't give a source for that. It also doesn't refer to him dieing specifically at a Casualty Clearing Station.

FindMyPast has Admissions and Discharge book records for a number of medical facilities in France & Flanders - from Field Ambulances to General Hospitals, so you may be able to find more there.

Ancestry has a document called the Army Register of Soldiers Effects which may possibly give a bit more about his place of death.

The War Diary of the 10th Loyals, Duke of Wellingtons, (downloadable from the National Archive for £3.50 or viewable on Ancestry as part of a subscription), may give some more details on the losses incurred on the days leading up to your great grandfathers death, but it is very unlikely to specifically name him.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edit - apologies. Having a senior moment when trying to respond to this while researching a Loyal North Lancs man at the same time. Last time I try to get in touch with my feminine side :)

Edited by PRC
Senility

He died of wounds at No.10 CCS which at the time was located at Remy Siding. Local papers of the time may hold some further information. Although his name doesn’t appear in the war diary at present it’s unclear when he may have received his wounds.

J

On 08/12/2019 at 18:00, PRC said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may want to start with a quick look at his webpage on the Lijssenthoek Cemetry site - picture of his headstone and Medal Index Card.

http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en/address/10947/-henry-thomas-lackey.html

Has him down as enlisted September 1916.  The Medal Index Card, a purely administrative document prepared postwar to keep track of the issue of medals, shows he only qualified for the Victory Medal Medal and the British War Medal. That combination by itself would indicate he didn't enter a Theatre of War until some point after the start of January 1916.

The related Service Medal Roll, (Ancestry) will normally indicate which units he served with overseas. The 10th Battalion had been in France since August 1915 so he probably went out from his training unit as part of a general draft and was sent to the 10th Battalion from an Infantry Base Depot in France.

A liitle bit more on the 10th Battalion here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/loyal-north-lancashire-regiment/

and the 37th Division of which they were part. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/37th-division/

One of the actions the 37th Division is shown as taking part in is the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, part of the bigger battle of Third Ypres (aka Passchendaele)

The Lijssenthoek site refers to him being wounded on the Menin Road, but doesn't give a source for that. It also doesn't refer to him dieing specifically at a Casualty Clearing Station.

FindMyPast has Admissions and Discharge book records for a number of medical facilities in France & Flanders - from Field Ambulances to General Hospitals, so you may be able to find more there.

Ancestry has a document called the Army Register of Soldiers Effects which may possibly give a bit more about his place of death.

The War Diary of the 10th Loyals, Duke of Wellingtons, (downloadable from the National Archive for £3.50 or viewable on Ancestry as part of a subscription), may give some more details on the losses incurred on the days leading up to your great grandfathers death, but it is very unlikely to specifically name him.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edit - apologies. Having a senior moment when trying to respond to this while researching a Loyal North Lancs man at the same time. Last time I try to get in touch with my feminine side :)

Peter amazing thanks so much

he did join in 16 before being killed one year later. I am hoping to find out more about his and his regiments involvement and hope to track down a photo group or individual as the family have none whatsoever.......

cant thank you enough

b

So is this the Henry Thomas Lackey, mothers' maiden name Jennings, whose birth was registed with the Civil Authorities in the St Saviour Southwark District of London in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1882?

If so looks like he is on the 1891 census with parents Thomas, (59, a Shoemaker, born St James, England) and Elzabeth, (54, born Shoreditch). he was then aged 9, born Newington and living in one of the households at 307 East Street, Southwark. Can't see him on the 1901 Census but suspect the individual identified in conection with the Stockwell War Memorial is the same man. The 1911 Census was the first intended to be completed by the householder, and if you look at the actual return it looks like there is several sets of handwriting involved with that relating to the 27 year old Henry Thomas in particular being subject to revision and addition.

33 minutes ago, Brian Lackey said:

hope to track down a photo group or individual as the family have none whatsoever.......

Suspect you will find there are no formal Battalion style photo's - those were more a peacetime Regular Army \ Home service thing. With drafts of men and a steady stream of casualties through both combat and wear and tear there just wasn't the opportunity or inclination to take such pictures. Access and permission to use cameras by other ranks was also restricted in the British Army. Your best bet tends to be local newspapers. If you are resident in the UK I would suggest try out the British Newspaper Archive - most public libraries subscribe and you get free unlimited access while on site. The upside is it's searchable - if you go to the relevant County Archive to look through newspapers you have no idea if there is even a picture a find, let alone when it might turn up. The downside, as I always say, is that the software used to transcribe the newspapers is "quirky", so can take a bit of getting used to - hence why I suggest you "taste and try" before thinking about subscribing directly.

If you subscribe to Ancestry or FMP then the British Newspaper Archive is going to form part of their Newspaper resources, in which case you may already be familiar with it.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thanks Peter 

so very kind of you and yes everything you say is correct.

family tree bigger than I thought and lots of Henry Thomas’s.........

Thanks the library sounds like a plan

many thanks again for spending your time

Wow that is information I would never have been able to find so thanks so much.

Near the end it mentions (see September 8th - Do you think that refers to the diary? I do not suppose you have the 8th

fascinating to put some faces to the names of some of his comrades, sad but interesting....

Thanks again

Brian

15 hours ago, Brian Lackey said:

Near the end it mentions (see September 8th - Do you think that refers to the diary

The date relates to the entry which Bill made on the 8th Sept. 2017. Generally he added each days entry on the exact anniversary of the event. It is fairly easy to navigate his blog because you can search dates using the menu on the right hand side of each page. I am pretty certain that Bill is a member of GWF but you can also contact him via his blog page which he is still updating. I have found him very helpful and happy to help with questions about 10 DWR.

Just to put you in the picture about 10 DWR ...they were formed in Aug/Sept 1914 in Halifax along with the 8th and 9th Service battalions. A Coy of the 10th were formed by a chap called Harry Tunstill and were effectively a Pals Coy raised in the Skipton and Craven area of Airedale. A Coy on the 9th DWR were the Ilkley Pals, from Wharfedale which is where my interest comes in. Because of the proximity of Skipton and Ilkley, Bill and I were have been able to swap information and photographs about the 2 units. 

Although sharing a common heritage the 9th and 10th served in different Divisions and had little contact after the initial recruiting phase. Interestingly, 10 DWR took a lot of recruits from Bradford including the poet and playwright J B Priestley who in his account of his war service (Margin Released) explains that he wanted to enlist into the Bradford Pals but because they took some time to form, he joined 10DWR at nearby Halifax. Hope that this is of some use.

Regards, 

I R

As a newish release thanks to The Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Card for:

Henry Thos LACKEY 235398 Pte 10th West Riding TF

21.9.17 DoW France

Widow; Hannah Sarah b.31.3.90 - d.1933

6 St Mary's Cottages, Eastcote St, Stockwell, London SW3

Children: Henry Joseph b.17.3.12, William Thomas b. 30.11.13, Cyril George b.19.11.16 - d.1.3.18

£5 grant paid 5-10-17 and a pension awarded 27.2.18 of 26/3 per week from 1.4.18 [reduced to 22/11 pw from 1.3.18]