Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Conundrum - me and David Lloyd George...

Bernard_Lewis

In a Costa coffee shop today, some 25 miles from my home, there was a bookcase where you are OK to take a book if you drop a quid or so in the charity box.

As Mrs Lewis was attending to her post-cappuccino ablutions, I noticed that one of the books was a HB "War Memoirs - David Lloyd George". 

Now, my bookshelves are already groaning under the weight and the chance of my reading said volume before I enter my final wooden box must be slim.

So the question is: for the sake of a quid is it worth buying it and smuggling it into the house while avoiding the steely gaze of Mrs Lewis? I think it is probably one volume of a two-volume work. Is one better than the other? I'll be back in the coffee shop in the next week or two and, if its still there, is it meant for me? Can anyone lend me a quid?

Bernard

May be worth it for the charity concerned, but yes it is one of a two-volume work - I used to own them at one time.  Even that is condensed from a multi-volume original edition.  Lloyd George published this when Haig (and possibly others) were safely dead and could be blamed accordingly.  Not that I'm implying that Haig was faultless, but like so many memoirs this literary effort is entirely self-serving.

Clive 

Thanks Clive. Good point on the charity giving. Next visit I will buy it or, if it's gone, pop a donation in anyway...

Bernard

10 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

I think it is probably one volume of a two-volume work. Is one better than the other?

I don't want to spoil the ending for you, (although it might help you decide if you want to spend another quid on Vol II.)  but he falls from grace, a lot of other stuff happens, then he dies.

2 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Not that I'm implying that Haig was faultless, but like so many memoirs this literary effort is entirely self-serving.

The only thing more suspect than a general's memoirs, are those of a politician.

Read carefully, with piches of salt handy (you may end-up spending more on salt than on the book :lol:)

Buy it and enjoy it. His pen-portraits are most interesting and revealing, of him as much as of his subjects. I’ve attached a clip of him on Kitchener - it includes a well-known passage:

24190838-2D1C-4D12-AF02-EC94517C8FFD.jpeg

Thanks all. 

Bernard