Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Przemyśl - 'The Fortress', Alexander Watson.

seaJane

Read a review in (I think) the Sunday Times, which was, to coin a phrase, effusive.

£15.56 on Amazon.

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Steven,

I have received a copy for review. It certainly lives up to the other review claims. 

Not mentioned in any of the reviews that I have seen  is the books fascinating analysis and commentary on desperate state of the rackety Austrian-Hungarian military  - incompetence at every level was total -  the Hapsberg Empire as a whole and the slightly less, but only slightly less, of failures of the Russians. Equally rampant anti semitism in both nations is shown as a simple a precursor of Nazi treatment of Jews and Russians during WW2.

I had not realised the depth of my ignorance about these matters until readying the elegantly written book - with notes and references which represent only slightly less than a quarter of the work.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

Hmmm ... I was tempted already ...

In looking on Amazon (US), I see an edition of this book that was released October 2019, but there is also an edition to be released February 2020.  The second one appears to be slightly longer.  Does anyone know more about this?  This book just went to the top of my "to buy" list!  Fascinating subject but, to be honest, I was disappointed in Tunstall's book on Przemsyl.

The 2019 is the Allen Lane edition (UK) -  2020 from Basic Books (US). In my experience US hardbacks have slightly wider margins and maybe larger font, hence more pages. 

Thanks - I wouldn't call my idea proof, exactly; but if an educated guess will suffice...

I read the glowing review...

Tempted but so MANY books and such LITTLE time...

Let's see if Santa brings me a book token.

Bernard

• 3 months later...

I finished reading this a few weeks ago. It is excellent - as Mr Filsell comments, the insights of the Austro-Hungarian army (and Empire) are fascinating, and the utter incompetence of Conrad and his generals is stunning.

A really, really good book.

The very name of the place sounds like a prize piece of Yiddish slang .

You’re pulling my Przemysl , ain’t yer ?

In a more serious vein, it sounds  like a horrific business : intense fighting and squalour, with atrocities and racial antagonism.....Verdun seems almost sanitised in comparison.

I reckon I’m going to buy this.

Phil

Just browsing through the threads and found this one...and it reminded of an entry In my grandfathers diaries...7th Dec 1915 "A man was explaining to me the other day how to pronounce the name of that fortress "Przemysls" he said, "you don't sound the "P"at all, it is a silent P,  like the "P" In "bathing"...