Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred GALLOWAY 105151 254 Siege Battery Photo

Ali Michele

Hi folks.  This is a photo of my great grandpa, Alfred Galloway (2nd right) of 159th Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.  According to my grandma, it was taken in France (or possibly Italy according to my research) in 1916.  I would consider it an immense privilege to be able to share this photo with family members of the other men.  If you are one of their relatives, please let me know and I’ll send you a copy of it.

30286893-47F7-49D2-A92C-3886E85DAEA4.jpeg

Welcome Ali Michele to the forum,

Can you please confirm if the gunner you refer to is Alfred GALLOWAY 105151. If so and you got 159B from his MiC (Medal Index Card) then you may have misinterpreted the information.The 159 B mentioned is a pointer reference to the roll his actual entry is recorded in followed by the page number. In that roll Alfred is shown as serving in 254 Siege Battery. 

Rgds Paul

Thank you Paul, yes that’s him.  Pardon my ignorance  there! 😳 Thank you very much for explaining that to me. I am getting stuck in with researching  my WW1 family members and am now thirsty for knowledge.  I have recently found out that my two of my great great uncles who were brothers were both killed.  One on the third day of the Battle of the Somme aged 20 and one aged 32 near Ypres.  My great Grandpa, Royal Irish Regiment was also killed in April 1915 aged 24.  He remains missing in Ploegsteert Wood somewhere.  I will start a new thread with the proper Battery, thank you again Paul 😃 

• spof changed the title to Alfred GALLOWAY 105151 254 Siege Battery Photo