Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.-Col.CHARLES BRIGGS and the men of A squadron 1st Kings Dragoon Guards

INW

I came across this photograph entitled: 

Presented by the NCO's and men of A squadron the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards to Lieut. Col. C. J. Briggs on his leaving the regiment.

I have found his Times Obituary which refers to him leaving the regiment in 1904. He later became LT.-GEN. SIR CHARLES BRIGGS and commanded XVI Corps of the Salonika Force.

The photograph is of the most fantastic quality with brilliant detail and without a fade or blemish. My image of it suffers from reflections as it was taken through the glass protecting it.

I wonder whether anyone can identify any of the men in the photograph? Did any of them serve in W.W.1? Where was the photo taken?

1093125327_1stKDGMENandNCOsBRIGGS.jpg.7a4eb84d9bd1e5f01a28bc6719f69106.jpg

Edited by INW
corrected name of regiment

At Aldershot.  He left 1 KDG formally on 16 July 1904 for 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons.(LG 15 Jul 1904)

Service numbers in 1 KDG below 5850 (ish) had joined before he left so that might be a rough guide.  Their 1914 Star roll seems to bear this out although the new cavalry numbering system in 1906 makes it not quite that straight forward!

Max.

PS  There are always some looking to their right or left in these old photos !! :-)

Edited by MaxD
Puttuing right a schoolboy error

1st King's Dragoon Guards (as Max points out)

6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons (not Dragoon Guards)

Briggs commanded the 1st Cavalry Brigade very effectively in 1914 (including at Nery, where he was said to have operated a Vickers gun himself)

:lol:

I noticed this recent post. It beautifully illustrates the medal that many of the men in the photograph are wearing. The Queen's South Africa Medal. 

The fourth solider from the left on the first seated row is the only one with a second medal the King's South Africa Medal. He must have transferred from a unit which had been serving in South Africa after Queen Victoria died in January 1901.

INW