Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers 2nd Battalion, 27th Special Brigade War Diaries

AM87

Hi all, does anyone know where i can find the War Diary for the above mentioned unit?  I am researching a soldier from this unit and the website i use to look at the war diaries files them under the different divisions etc? Also a steer as to where i can find info on H" Special Coy RE would be greatly appreciated.

War Diaries for the Royal Engineers are held  by the Royal Engineers Museum at Chatham.   There is a downloadable list of them (a little tricky to use)  by clicking on the link on their site.

I cannot see on a quick scan through that 27th Special Brigade are there- but there is a list of various war diaries for special companies  in alphabetical order-inc. one for H.

It may be worthwhile sending a PM to Terry Reeves, our expert on all things Special Brigade, if he does not pick this thread up(which he usually does)

Hope that helps

It’s H Special Company part of 2nd Bn Special Brigade.  They have a war diary in two parts , WO95 334/1  and 334/2 available for download The National Archives site.  For  1916 you will need the battalion war diary, individual companies did not start to keep them until 1917. The 2nd  Battalion diary can be found for download in WO 95/121/2 and WO95 121/3.

I have all these diaries. If there is specific information you need let me know. By the way what is the name and number of your man, I might have some information. I have transcribed all the names from H Coy diary and the battalion diary.

Can you say where got 27 from in your title please? Would it have been 27 Section perhaps?

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

23 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

It’s H Special Company part of 2nd Bn Special Brigade.  They have a war diary in two parts , WO95 334/1  and 334/2 available for download The National Archives site.  For  1916 you will need the battalion war diary, individual companies did not start to keep them until 1917. The 2nd  Battalion diary can be found for download in WO 95/121/2 and WO95 121/3.

I have all these diaries. If there is specific information you need let me know. By the way what is the name and number of your man, I might have some information. I have transcribed all the names from H Coy diary and the battalion diary.

Can you say where got 27 from in your title please? Would it have been 27 Section perhaps?

TR

Terry - the person in question was 143064 Cpl James Hammond, Killed 21 March 1918?  I am researching his Military Medal and i know the war diary can shed some light on gallantry acts etc.  Thanks

23 hours ago, AM87 said:

Terry - the person in question was 143064 Cpl James Hammond, Killed 21 March 1918?  I am researching his Military Medal and i know the war diary can shed some light on gallantry acts etc.  Thanks

23 hours ago, AM87 said:

Terry - the person in question was 143064 Cpl James Hammond, Killed 21 March 1918?  I am researching his Military Medal and i know the war diary can shed some light on gallantry acts etc.  Thanks.

AM87

James Hammond is mentioned in 2nd Battalion’s war diary on the 14th July 1916 as having been awarded the MM. There are six men who are noted for the award on that date , three from F Company and three from H Company, which includes Cpl Hammond’s. There  is no other detail.  The formal announcement was published in the London Gazette on 15 August 1916.

At the beginning of 1916, the original Special Companies were reorganised and expanded into battalions. During the period February to the end of May 1916, they were engaged in training, both military and technical. They did not start operations until late June of that year most of which was aimed at support for the forthcoming Somme battle. The these were softening up operations Doing a count back from the London Gazette, and the informal announcement of the award,  I have checked the Special Brigade operations for the period, which are separate from the war diaries, and it appears that two operations are possible . Both took place on 27 July 1916. In which sections of H Company took part.

26.6.16 - Section 41 H Coy, West of Ovilliers  along with a section of G Company and detachment A Company , 1st Battalion

27.6.16 - H Coy , section 42 South West of Ovilliers.

I must stress that the above is based on a work-around and cannot be guaranteed.

Looking at Soldiers Died, I see that he was from Montrose. I might be worth checking the local newspapers which might have  published something with regards to the circumstances of his award.

TR

23 hours ago, AM87 said: