Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

do you live in Hull or St Leonards on Sea ?

Coldstreamer

hello

if any one in the UK lives in either place, I need help to check details on the war memorial

I will post the full details if I get any takers!

Cheers Ian

Yeah, which memorial. I've been having a dig around in the Hull area recently and will be covering some of the memorials.

A number of medals in my collection are linked to Hull and area, and a relly served as a Lt. with the Humber forts 256 Hvy Battery RGA, later in France.

Lee in Lincs

Hello

St Leonards on Sea is in reference to the officer mentioned below and my poor attempt at putting his photo as my picture!

In Hull is Drill Sgt Alfred Woyen - killed in action with the 2nd Battalion aged 32 on the 30th March 1916 - he isnt on the town shown as residence or the village is wife lived in . His parent lived in Hull. I do have others from Hull and will make a list...

All help / info appreciated

Thanks all

Ian

Jim Strawbridge

Do you know where these stones are exactly. I can have a look if you let me know which yards they are in. I have some memorial inscription books for the area Cottingham/Hessle/and maybe one more which I cant see from here.

My Pops lot came from Hull and Ive done quite a bit of research there.

By the way Iamthegeeza who had a posting concerning the good old 53rd Camel Corps.

Let me know what you need and Ill be out withmy new digi cam. Christmas prezzy that Iaint used yet.

Lee in Lincs

• 4 years later...
Hello

St Leonards on Sea is in reference to the officer mentioned below and my poor attempt at putting his photo as my picture!

In Hull is Drill Sgt Alfred Woyen - killed in action with the 2nd Battalion aged 32 on the 30th March 1916 - he isnt on the town shown as residence or the village is wife lived in . His parent lived in Hull. I do have others from Hull and will make a list...

All help / info appreciated

Thanks all

Ian

Ian,

New poster - please forgive any bone errors.

Thanks hugely for the above. Alfred is a great (great) uncle of mine, and I carry the name on. My previous attempts at tracking down details on him had come to very little. I had written to the Guards Regimental Archivist, but was told that his records were amongst those lost to fire in WW2. As far as I was aware, he had survived the war, and there was therefore little in the way of information available. Your post above therefore has been of great interest to me. I hold a certain ammount of material on family background, what are you interested in? I read one of your other threads concerning a medal, I take it this is Alfred's? Any details you care to share on that would be of great interest, also anything on the circumstances of his death/burial would be greatly appreciated.

SW

They might have eluded the archives but not me - I have the papers

send me an email if youdlike to discuss cg1915 at tiscali.co.uk

SW,

Any information about a Guy from Hull is great for me. The Coldstream Guards recruited from Hull so a lot of information on individuals is available.

Regards Charles

SW,

Any information about a Guy from Hull is great for me. The Coldstream Guards recruited from Hull so a lot of information on individuals is available.

Regards Charles

Charles,

Credit where it's due, Coldstreamer has been massively helpful with my own search, and I am indebted to him. The story, in so far as I have it, is that Alfred was born in St John's, Hull in 1884. He enlisted in the CG on 21/04/1903, and was KIA on 30/03/1916. He had 2 brothers, both also from Hull, who also served, but in the 12th Battalion East Yorks Regt. One, Christian, was also killed, on the 25/09/1916. The other, Frederick, survived the war but died in 1920. In essence that's what I have, other than the fact that Alfred's gravestone gives his names as WOYON. A matter I am seeking to resolve. Might you be able to add?

SW

Hi,

Not much to add, the Father was Alfred Woyen address 18 Paradise Place Commercial Road Hull, there was also a sister Maud Louisa, Alfred died in 1919.

Regards Charles