Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

*URGENT help required* Robert Turnbull - County Durham - DLI/Labour Corps

ajt55

Hello all,

I may have found a WW1 medal that could be my Great-Great Uncles, which would mean the world to me if it was actually his and I could bring it home.

The medal I have found is stamped '4283 Pte R Turnbull Durham Light Infantry'

The reason I am asking is because his brother, James Turnbull (my Great-Great Grandad), switched between the Labour Corps and DLI and wondering if this could be the case here as well?

The information I have on Robert Turnbull is:

Robert Turnbull, born roughly 1883. Last Residence was on 1911 census, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Unmarried. 134277 of the Royal Field Artillery. 32nd D.A.C.

'He a may have been a Derby Scheme man, arrested in to the RFA in Dec 1915'

Any help would be much appreciated, I have waited years for this opportunity to potentially arise!

Could this be it? 

Many Thanks,

Andrew

I can’t see a MIC on Ancestry, but there is this in the National Archives:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5639500

Durham Light Infantry 4283 Private

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 26669 Private

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jrmh

Assuming that it is one of the three "normal" WW1 medals I would advise you to buy it and research at your leisure as it should not be that expensive. If it proves not to be your relative you can then dispose of it hopefuly for what you paid for it. By the way, it is "attested" not "arrested" unless he was a naughty boy.

edit. 4283 Private Robert Turnbull, 8th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry also served as 26669 Private Robert Turnbull, 1st Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

49 minutes ago, ajt55 said:

I may have found a WW1 medal that could be my Great-Great Uncles, which would mean the world to me if it was actually his and I could bring it home.

The medal I have found is stamped '4283 Pte R Turnbull Durham Light Infantry' The reason I am asking is because his brother, James Turnbull (my Great-Great Grandad), switched between the Labour Corps and DLI and wondering if this could be the case here as well?

The information I have on Robert Turnbull is:

Robert Turnbull, born roughly 1883. Last Residence was on 1911 census, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Unmarried. 134277 of the Royal Field Artillery. 32nd D.A.C...

There is a MIC for :

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5639500

Medal card of Turnbull, Robert

Durham Light Infantry 4283 Private

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 26669 Private

There is also a MIC for:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5639434

Medal card of Turnbull, Robert

Royal Field Artillery 13427 Gunner

Usually if there are two separate cards like this they would indicate they are two different people. Examination of the cards themselves might help, but if you are sure 13427 RFA is your great great Uncle then the medal to 4283 DLI is unlikely to be related.

Edited by Andrew Upton

4283 Turnbull R. DLI, according to a casualty record was born in Newcastle in 1893.

He was transferred to the Loyal N. Lancs as 26669, where he was wounded in an accident in 1916 during bombing range practice....interestingly there is a diagram and an explanation of the accident.

His address is a Newcastle one so unlikely to be your relative from what you have said.

Screenshot_20191204-120455.jpg