Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JOSEPH FALLON R.I.R AND M.G.C

SIH 14

Hello,

I am carrying out research into my Grandad's deployment during WW1. I would appreciate any information concerning his time in the M.G.C. Am i right in assuming that if he joined the M.G.C from the 16th Royal Irish then it is most likely that he would have carried out his training in Camiers rather than Belton Park? From information gathered elsewhere on this forum I think his M.G.C regiment number ( 145536) indicates that he joined the Corps in April 1918. Is this correct? How long did the training last and is there any way of determining from his regiment number where he might have been deployed upon completion of training? As already mentioned any information would be most appreciated.M.G.C.jpg.47468de7228c261c90c3b15d61311bfe.jpg

Ah Ballinasloe, I have relatives there, in Creagh. Anyhoo, Joseph Fallon is not in the newspapers, and there were no Fallons from Galway killed in the war,

• Admin

Suggest you take a look at the service record of 145538 Naughton (2193 S.I.H./25650 R.I.Regt), along with Fallon one of a draft of seven posted to the MGC from the R Irish Regt.  For one reason or another, most likely recovering from wounds or sickness, these men were in the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment.  In April 1918 this Battalion moved to Larkhill ( LLT), the MGC recruited from home based reserve units and the recruits were, in Naughton’s case and presumably his comrades posted to Grantham and the 6th Reserve Battalion for training, generally six weeks.  As you have found this was on the 14th April 1918.

Naughton may not have been typical as he did not go to France until November, joining 46 Bn MGC after the Armistice on the 13th November.  He re-enlisted in the MGC for a short period post war.  Without a service record it’s difficult to trace where thes men went with any certainty unless we can find them in, for example casualty records.

I does appear that each man in the draft from the Royal Irish Regiment survived.  Pte Fallon was discharged on 31st March 1920 (Para 392 (xxi) termination of engagement).

Ken

It appears his medals were returned. The next of kin may be entitled to the issue of a new pair. Other members may have more knowledge of this matter. 

Tom, Ken and Murrough,

Many thanks for your replies.Ken your reply is most informative and I will pursue these new lines of enquiry. I attach a list of M.G.C men certifying their eligibility to receive the 1914/15 star. My grandad's name Fallon is mis-spelt as "Fallow". According to this list it appears that he was demobilised in March 1919. As regards Murrough raising the point0001.jpg.6b8dcecf6e36aaebcadd5dc901ba99cb.jpg of the non-issuing of his medals, I think this might partly be due to the fact that upon returning to Ireland he joined the Old IRA (East Galway) and for obvious reasons did not furnish the authoroties with a reliable forwarding address in  the immediate post war years.

Joe 

Good man Murrough, I wondered why Paisley was buried there?

• Admin
3 hours ago, SIH 14 said:

I attach a list of M.G.C men certifying their eligibility to receive the 1914/15 star. My grandad's name Fallon is mis-spelt as "Fallow". According to this list it appears that he was demobilised in March 1919. 

He was not demobilised but discharged to the Class ‘Z’ Reserve in March 1919

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

Although realistically he was no longer serving he still had a Military commitment as described on the LLT.  He was finally discharged (VM and BWM Rolls) when the Class ‘Z’ Reserve was abolished.

Ken

Murrough old chap. May I assume you don't know why (like myself) he is buried in Creagh then?

Thank you Murrough, its a mystery sure enough.