Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Medals

Frank Marsden

Greetings and every good wish! Following on from my excellent experience on the forum yesterday, I thought that I would try to find out about these medals. I have two sets, both 14-18. One from my maternal great-grandfather and one from my paternal great-grandfather. One set has a spur with it?! just one.

The other set has one medal more than the other

and it has all four verses of our national anthem on the reverse. The spur set says 'driver' before his name around the edge.

Any light that can be shone on these would be appreciated. Thank you my friends, Frank.

Good morning Frank,

A picture would be a great help.

By 'Spur', do you mean a horse rider's spur?

'Driver' was a Private  who drove the horse wagons in a mounted regiment like the RFA, RGA, RHA, ASC, RE- that sort of thing.

When posting a picture of the medals, post one also of the rims- where the soldier's name is engraved.

I think that these will turn out to be commemorative type keepsakes rather than war medals. So there will be no name on the edge. The type that were sold on the street by cheapjacks. But we will see. The Mods may move to the medal section of the Forum I expect.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Good morning Frank,

A picture would be a great help.

By 'Spur', do you mean a horse rider's spur?

'Driver' was a Private  who drove the horse wagons in a mounted regiment like the RFA, RGA, RHA, ASC, RE- that sort of thing.

When posting a picture of the medals, post one also of the rims- where the soldier's name is engraved.

Certainly, thank you.

I did hear once that he drove mules and the way that they were tethered meant you only had one leg free....? Yes, a riding spur.

3 minutes ago, Frank Marsden said:

Certainly, thank you.

I did hear once that he drove mules and the way that they were tethered meant you only had one leg free....? Yes, a riding spur.

I will photograph them around lunch, then get back to you.

12 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I think that these will turn out to be commemorative type keepsakes rather than war medals. So there will be no name on the edge. The type that were sold on the street by cheapjacks. But we will see. The Mods may move to the medal section of the Forum I expect.

I see.... Well, I shall post pictures just after lunch and thank you!