Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI project Twitter accounts - impact of Twitter removal of 'dormant' accounts - not logged in for six months+

TGM

Re: WWI project Twitter accounts

The impact of Twitter's plans to remove 'dormant' accounts - those not logged in for six months+ and its impact on historic accounts came up on Twitter yesterday:

image.png.20593875541e6afe9ccb4fd414559704.png

I checked ten or so in my list and noted some hadn't posted well before 2018, some were near the cut off period such as @ParliamentWW1 though I would expect they have archived their social media output.

Very sorry , but I couldn’t give two hoots about Twitter. It is  a desperate internet site that promotes those who lead sad lives and want to promote their egos.

TR

27 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Very sorry , but I couldn’t give two hoots about Twitter. It is  a desperate internet site that promotes those who lead sad lives and want to promote their egos.

TR

Depends on how you use Twitter.  If you follow your specific interest such as WW1, it will come back to you.  I don’t follow any celebrities or anything political so see very little of the rubbish on Twitter, unless I go looking for it on what is trending.  Follow the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and you will see plenty of pictures from cemeteries around the world and what their gardner’s are doing, this in turn will leading to following the accounts of the gardeners, lots of whom post about their specific cemeteries.   

I actually think Twitter is pretty misunderstood by people who don’t use it well.  It’s not about following as many accounts as possible, but choosing carefully those things that interest you.  I don’t follow friends back, just because they folllow me, unless they share my interests, which most don’t.

Mandy

1 hour ago, mandy hall said:

Depends on how you use Twitter.  If you follow your specific interest such as WW1, it will come back to you.  I don’t follow any celebrities or anything political so see very little of the rubbish on Twitter, unless I go looking for it on what is trending.  Follow the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and you will see plenty of pictures from cemeteries around the world and what their gardner’s are doing, this in turn will leading to following the accounts of the gardeners, lots of whom post about their specific cemeteries.   

I actually think Twitter is pretty misunderstood by people who don’t use it well.  It’s not about following as many accounts as possible, but choosing carefully those things that interest you.  I don’t follow friends back, just because they folllow me, unless they share my interests, which most don’t.

Mandy

Hi Mandy, yes I agree with some your points but generally it seems that it is a forum which people want to advertise them selves  of indeed their business or political interests . BIG sigh.

TR

As a user of Twitter for over ten years I beg to differ. There are respected academics and experts in many fields using Twitter to share and exchange their work and views. Depending on who you choose to follow it can be a useful tool for research and keeping up-to-date in so many fields and developing areas. The WWI/GW, museum, and library Twitter accounts are on the whole excellent.

I am sad people here do not realise or appreciate what may be lost.

IMHO there are egotists on all forums including this one.

Edited by TGM
typos

On 07/12/2019 at 04:48, TGM said:

As a user of Twitter for over ten years I beg to differ. There are respected academics and experts in many fields using Twitter to share and exchange their work and views. Depending on who you choose to follow it can be a useful tool for research and keeping up-to-date in so many fields and developing areas. The WWI/GW, Museum, and Library Twitter accounts are on the whole excellent.

I am sad people here do not realise or appreciate what may be lost.

IMHO there are egotists on all forums including this one.

Very true. I use Twitter to follow a variety of historians and academics, it's a wonderful tool for networking and having interesting (albeit short form) conversations.

I am a fairly reluctant Tweeter but have spoken at two seminars and organised another thanks to contacts thereon. The Armed Forces have some very interesting accounts.