Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lihons to Foucaucourt, Front Line pre July 1916

JohnC

Does anyone have a trench map showing the front line between Lihons and Foucaucourt before the start of the Battle of the Somme? I have a fragment of a German map which shows some interesting artillery notations based upon Vermandovillers, photo below, with the French and German front lines sketched in. There's no date on the map and I originally assumed it was from the time of the battle of Amiens in early August 1918. Reflecting though, I think it's unlikely given the speed of the allied advance that any German artilleryman would have had the opportunity to make such a map at that time. I now think it shows the position before commencement of the Battle of the Somme in July 1916, as per the area around Lihons in the second photo from the French Chaulnes sheet of 10/6/1916. Does anyone have the next sheet up (7, Soyecourt), especially the area of Bois Etoile/Stern Wald? That would help to confirm my date.

Thanks,

John

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

Hello John,

I do have the map... somewhere in the maps room ! But I am pretty sure that the German map is from 1916, before the French attack in the sector. I'll check shortly

Regards,

Sly

Edit: just found it ! French trench map - June 1916

Herleville.jpeg.3c6590451a1ec1dbdad0600e91707007.jpeg

Edited by Sly