Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Langdale 156113

mindful45

Hi

Harry Langdale 156113 joined the East Yorkshire Regiment in Hull in 1914, he was later transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. He was severely wounded - abdominal wounds I think. However, he died in 1924 of these, but as he died outside of the official cut off date he does not appear on a roll of honour (as far as I know). He is a bit of a mystery, however I have learned that he was employed before the war as a hospital porter, and so I was wondering if there is anybody reading this who may know Hull, or who may be able to help with finding out more about this man. It seems that he has been largely forgotten about, and it would be great to bring his story to light, if possible.

• Admin

He has a pension record on FMP (and presumably on Ancestry) that detail his wounds and subsequent surgery.

Shows cause of death as acute lobal pneumonia.

Enlisted in Hull 23rd November 1914, one of a draft of about half a dozen to the MGC from the East Yorks.  Wounded on November 1917, probably with East Yorks

second wound, shrapnel to right buttock passing up through his abdomen 4th November 1918 while with the MGC.

Will dig a bit more later

Ken

Note his few surviving docs are on Ancestry and FMP. Much to do with his post-war health troubles

He was badly wounded twice,

Once GSW Face + Neck probably late Oct, early Nov 1917. The docs show him in hospital in Glasgow 16/11/17 to 31/12/17. He is in a Convalescent Depot in Ripon 22/1/18-26/2/18, He is still with EYR at the time

This wounding is reported in the Hull Daily Mail on 16/11/17. This says it happened 9/11/17. It gives an address of 26, Cadogan St. This address is on the service docs. It mentions 2 brothers serving - one in France and one in Salonika

The buttock/addomen wound is much later. He is in hospital in UK 30/11/18 to 31/1/19 with a shrapnel wound. 

The family is at the same address in 1911. Henry is shown as a railway porter. FMP has a NUR member record for a Henry Langdale - Porter. This shows a place of birth of North Burton.

He has an older brother Frederick W aged 30 in 1911. Father Thomas and mother Jane aged 60. Plus a sister Florence. In 1901 the family are in North Burton and the other brother is Robert born c1890. There are 2 further sisters, 1891 shows an older brother John Thomas born c1877

Frederick WIlliam died of wounds at 49 CCS on 19/9/16 after being wounded 2 days earlier. 1/5 battalion Y and L.He was N'umberland Fus but transferred to Y and L in France. Disembarked 30/8/16. to Y and L 10/9. Lasted a few days!

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/81554/langdale,-/

Docs exist.

Looks as if the other brothers lived into the 1940s. 

Robert was KOYLI 9882. There is a pension card showing he got a small pension for Malaria and ICT Knee attributable to war service. So presumably he was the Salonika man. Address showing is 26 Cadogan St. Discharged 26/3/19. Medal roll shows 1st battalion KOYLI - that unit was in Salonika from late 1915 to June 1918 when they went to Italy.

I cannot find an obvious candidate for John

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin

Transferred to the M.G.C. 16th May 1918.

He and his comrades were probably in the Reserve Battalion of the East York’s, after he had recovered from his first wound.

Ken

Well you have been busy. Thanks, this is all very interesting. I am trying to help an acquaintance of mine - he is a member of the Old Comrades' Association - Machine Gun Corps, and has a database of the many men who served. For Remembrance Sunday he was remembering Harry, however he did not know much about him. So I figured I would try to help out, so I will pass what I learn on to him for his own interest and for the database (for clarity and posterity). I recently joined this myself, as my ancestor was in the corps, so I thought I would help out and you know, do my bit. 

I heard yesterday from a friend that Harry was in the Hull Pals. It would be interesting I think to learn more about them. 

Ok, have a good day all.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:17, kenf48 said:

He has a pension record on FMP (and presumably on Ancestry) that detail his wounds and subsequent surgery.

Shows cause of death as acute lobal pneumonia.

Enlisted in Hull 23rd November 1914, one of a draft of about half a dozen to the MGC from the East Yorks.  Wounded on November 1917, probably with East Yorks

second wound, shrapnel to right buttock passing up through his abdomen 4th November 1918 while with the MGC.

Will dig a bit more later

Ken

Hi Ken, I haven't been able to find this record on Ancestry, is it possible for you to send me a link or something?

• Admin
3 hours ago, mindful45 said:

Hi Ken, I haven't been able to find this record on Ancestry, is it possible for you to send me a link or something?

On Ancestry it is here

Ken

This is the extract from the Pension Docs on ancestry. & confirms what Kenf48 found on FMP. The ancestry record also shows his medical examinations up to 5th May 1923, when the Final Award Board reduced his pension from 50% to 20 %.

456531008_ScreenShot2019-12-10at14_21_17.png.2797c714a4cf00bbd24986ec281ce349.png

image courtesy of ancestry.co.uk