Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with words on Service record - need good eyes !

brett361975

I have just received a copy of a soldiers records and am struggling to work out some of the wording . Would anyone be able to help please ?

What  I Can read is "Sentenced to 10 days field punishment number two by CO for being in possession of a pair of ???????

belonging to a ??????

Was later discharged from the Military for the offence of felony - the MOD have blacked out the offence but I can just about make out "Stealing £40 / 3/ 6

Thank you for any help you can offer

Kind regards

Brett 

IMG_0364.JPG.9b745de5ab6b5f493b2e8a4921df2397.JPGCapture.PNG.69c33dc827b21b47448fc6850eed37c7.PNG

Blank.PNG

Edited by brett361975
added to text

Trousers belonging to a comrade?

Edit. Oops, didn’t mean to post before commenting on the blacked-out section but I am struggling with that! 

Margaret

Edited by Margosh

Arrrrrr thanks everyone, makes sense now.

The second paragraph blacked out I can just about see

"Convicted by  xxxxxxxx and sentenced to 2 years 2 months xxxxxxx for stealing £40 / 3 / 6 "

I am unable to work any more out. He was however reduced to the ranks and discharged for this offence

Is the bit after 2months   “.... HL” ?  Hard Labour? Possibly “Imp HL”, Imprisonment, hard labour?

Further down “ deprived of ............ by .........” ? Deprived of service stripes? 

Edited by Margosh

Is the bit after 2months   “.... HL” ?  Hard Labour? Possibly “Imp HL”, Imprisonment, hard labour?

Is there anything in the Court Martial registers on Fold3 for him ? It might add some more to the story.

Craig

Thank you all very much for your assistance. IMP HL would certainly make sense. He was discharged two days after the notes on his records so I can only assume it was civil imprisonment. 

Craig sorry not sure what fold3 ?

Kind regards

Brett

1 hour ago, brett361975 said:

Thank you all very much for your assistance. IMP HL would certainly make sense. He was discharged two days after the notes on his records so I can only assume it was civil imprisonment. 

Craig sorry not sure what fold3 ?

Kind regards

Brett

Fold3 is a (now) Ancestry owned site - Ancestry now place some records on there instead of on Ancestry - one of these record sets is the court martial registers. They have a free 7 day trial that will give you access to the registers (remember to cancel !).

https://www.fold3.com/

Thanks Craig, I had a look, no courts martial records for the 1929 offence but he was tried by Civil Powers so that could be the reason behind that. 

I did find one record for him though from 1923. Convicted by DCM for Prejudiced of good order and reduced to the ranks.  There are further notes that have been strikethrough if anyone can help decipher ? Kindest regards Brett

DCM.PNG.c0a7a5a456d01f165a577f7821135195.PNG

31 minutes ago, brett361975 said:

Thanks Craig, I had a look, no courts martial records for the 1929 offence but he was tried by Civil Powers so that could be the reason behind that. 

I did find one record for him though from 1923. Convicted by DCM for Prejudiced of good order and reduced to the ranks.  There are further notes that have been strikethrough if anyone can help decipher ? Kindest regards Brett

DCM.PNG.c0a7a5a456d01f165a577f7821135195.PNG

Service not allowed to reckon for pension purposes - in other words, a period of service was to be forfeited when calculating any pension.

Craig