Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

58th Div DAC

blindbatbob

My father, Neville Frank Maltby MM, served in the 58th Div. Divisional Ammo Column but I cannot find any info on the Division or the DAC movements during 1917.

From my Dad's diary the 58th DAC left Southampton on 22/1/17 and on 11/11/18 was camped in the grounds of the Chateau de Sirault, (25km west of Mons, Belgium) when the armistice came into force.$

Can anyone pse help me with tracing the movements of this division's DAC in 1917? Where should I look? The 58th isn't listed on the 1914-1918 site.

Tks

Frank

Hi Frank. Welcome to the forum. The 58th Division is listed on the main site associated with this forum - "The Long, Long Trail".

It does list 58th Division (and 58 DAC) at this link:-

58 Div

This page lists the Divisional battle honours, from which you can partly trace its movement through 1917 and 1918.

As I'm sure you know a DAC supplied ammunition to the Division's guns. These were situated at some distance behind the front line, and the DAC would obviously be further back.

If you want to know all the detail, then the best place is probably the National Archives - Public Record Office at Kew, where they keep war diaries for most of the units serving in the Great War.

Alternatively, one of the forum members may well have an interest in this particular Division and can supply more detail. Watch this space!

Hello Frank.

The 58th(2/1st)London Division saw much action during it's time in France and Flanders.

They were in action in May and June of 1917,during the advance against the Hindenburg Line,around Bullecourt.

They served around St Julien and Poelcappelle during the 3rd Battle of Ypres and supported the Canadians in the final battles for Passchendaele village in November 1917.

They spent quite a bit of time in the Ypres area,before moving to the extreme right of the British held line,around La Fere in January or February 1918.

They were holding the Frontline in this area,when the March offensive began on the 21st.

The division was pushed back during the retreat and took up position's around Villers-Bretonneux and Hangard Wood in early April 1918.

The division,with the 8th Division,were involved in the battle here on the 24/25th of April 1918.

I believe they were involved in the August battles of 1918.

My Great-Grandad joined 214th MGC of 173rd Brigade of the 58th Division,at the beginning of June and served with the division until he was KIA on the 24.4.18,during the battle of Hangard wood.

There are records that are available at the PRO,which i believe includes divisional operations records,and the divisonal war diary.

WO95/2987 to WO95/2989,cover 58th Division operations from August 1917 until July 1918.

The Brigade diaries are in WO95/3000 to about WO95/3010.

There was no history of the Division written after the war,but there is some information on Battalions that served with the Division on the 1914-1918.net site,under divisions.

Hope this is of help,Frank.

Nice to meet another 58th Division relative.

There doesn't seem to be many of us out there.

All the best.

Simon Furnell.

• 5 years later...

post-38760-1235316916.jpg

Hi,

Although it's been a long time since any posts haven been made on this thread, I'd like to come out. I'm acting on behalf of an Australian family who had relatives in the 58th. More specifically, they got a picture showing this relative together with his comrades of the despatch riders (motorists) of the 58th division. The Australian family is desperate to know where the picture was taken.

On the picture is written 'despatch riders 58th Div Belgium X-mass 1918'

The logo of the 58th is in the picture as well.

Simons' mention of the Château de Sirault is the closest I get in determining where the 58th was in the after Armistice period. Who can help me further?

Thanks!

Bart Debeer

Bruges, Belgium

Frank,

I have been doing some research for a friend whose Grsndfather swerved in 1/3rd London Regt. 58 London Div. The Division was involved the following Battles during 1918: St.Quenton 21 - 23rd March, Avre 4th April Villers Bretonneux 24 - 25 April, Battle of Amiens 8-11th August (Well documented several books on this) the Division played a crucial role at a place called Chipily ( The division has an impressive memorial in that Village). Battle of Albert 21-23rd August at Chuignes. Battle of Ephey 18th September, 1918. Transferred to V111 Corpsin October for the final Battles through Douai and Artois. Hope that helps

tony

Frank,

Whoops saw you asked about 1917. Sorry. Brief precis. 14 March to 5th April 1917 German retreat to the hindenburg line. Battle of Bullecourt 3rd May -16th June 1917. Battle of Menin Road 20-25th september, Battle of Polygon Wood 26 Sept.- 3 Oct. Second Passchendaele 26 Oct - 10 Nov 1917.

tony

Hello Bart and what a wonderfull photo you have there.

I need to dig out the war diary of D-Company,58th Battalion MGC and see if i can give you any help.

Seems to me that the 58th and the Aussies were very close to each other on a few occasions during the Great war.

If you do not hear from me though this thread,please contact me via my Forum messaging and i will have a look for you.

All the best.

Simon.

• 4 months later...

I have just stumbled across my great-great uncle who served with the 58th Div Ammunition Column. Bombadier 945236 Jim Clemmett enlisted in London in 1915, originally joining the 8th City of London Yeomanry. He then went out to France with 293 Brigade RFA and served throughout 1917 and 1918. He was originally from Southport, Lancs but gave an address of 76 Crewys Road, Crickelwood, London on enlistment.

I am just happy to have found another relative of mine who served (and amazed that I have his records as I have drawn so many blanks in the past)

Tim