Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord Derby's Brassard

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from the depths of Sherwood Forest.

I have always had a great interest in WW1 Brassards and used to purchase them before the prices became ridiculous. 

Here is one that I bought about 40 years ago.  It is a typical Lord Derby's Brassard to which has been added a Royal Field Artillery

shoulder title.  The title is now sewn on but the holes for it were originally eyeleted, for some reason it was changed. 

I have never seen one like this before but I suppose at one time they must have been common.  

Hope you all find this interesting.

Old Robin HoodDSC01686.jpg.0752f0150121499a771416708435398e.jpgDSC01687.jpg.96363035c9445e69be789126ed14f3e7.jpg

Very nice. Is it numbered?

I assume that the addition of the RFA title was not as issued. My understanding is that whilst a man could state a preference for a particular Corps or Unit, nothing was guaranteed until he was sent his mobilisation papers.

I've seen one service record from the Hampshire Regiment where the OC writes to the OC at Fort Brockhurst saying this man was disappointed not to have been given his preference to join the RGA, will you take him? The reply was yes.

Regards

Alan.

Greetings From Sherwood.

Alan

On the back of the brassard is the usual stamp     ISSUED UNDER

AUTHORITY

OF

ARMY COUNCIL    and a large GG . also a number in the same purple ink 88878

On the opposite side is 7 BATTN .W. also in purple ink.

Hope that is of interest

Robin

22 hours ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Greetings From Sherwood.

Alan

On the back of the brassard is the usual stamp     ISSUED UNDER

AUTHORITY

OF

ARMY COUNCIL    and a large GG . also a number in the same purple ink 88878

On the opposite side is 7 BATTN .W. also in purple ink.

Hope that is of interest

Robin

Thanks for that Robin.

Interesting as the "7 Battn W" appears to have nothing to do with artillery (?)

Regards

Alan.