Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Defaulter book: "certified no entry"

Moonraker

I've been asked about this entry in a defaulter book: "Certified no entry whilst serving in this area". I'm told that R O Wade was an American who enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, served with the 2nd Engineers in France and was discharged in England after marrying a woman in Wiltshire in 1919, when he enlisted for one year in the " British Military Mounted Police". 

CEFMP.jpg.4ec16eb2fa523b773172ab8645c2ee72.jpg

An initial suggestion was that Wade had been banned from entering the Tidworth area, but my own theory was that no entry had been made in the defaulter book whilst he was based there , either in regard to his own conduct or by him in regard to others' behaviour. The latter seems a bit unlikely, given that there was a great deal of disorder on the Plain in 1919-20, some due to delays in demobilisation.

I Googled "certified no entry whilst serving in the area" and came up with RAF regulations for 1943: "Every conviction by court martial will be entered whether the sentence is wholly remitted or not; but no entry will be made of any charge upon which the finding of “not guilty” has been recorded."  I wonder if Wade had been found "not guilty" of some charge, and his senior officer wanted to note this? Or, as my enquirer now suggests, the officer was  certifying that "nothing has been written on this page until this message", ie Wade had an unblemished record.

I know very little about military paperwork and am hoping for better-informed replies, please.

BTW, I couldn't find Wade's papers on the Library & Archives Canada website, not that I persevered for very long. In any case, they would have no bearing on his subsequent service with the British Army.

Moonraker

I take it to mean that he commited no offence, and therefore there was no entry in the Defaulters Book, during his time at Tidworth, certified by the Assistaant Provost Marshal.

Martin

A couple of things in addition to his CEF record. His entry in AB 358 gives the date of his transfer to MFP as 23.9.1919 - he was later allotted the new Army No 7682155. He married Dorothy at Amesbury in Wiltshire on 14.8.1919, and was discharged at Aldershot on 18.9.1920 KR 392 (xxi). His character on discharge is listed as Good.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks for the prompt replies. (Broznitsky was the member who initially contacted my by email.) I followed up Keith's link and noted that Wade had a fine collection of tattoos!

Moonraker