Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My (all original) German collection

PrussianGarde

I got this all in the past 9 months (when I started collecting). Not bad for a 14 year old kid

9AE91262-AFED-4761-9CA9-1271382D960C.jpeg

Something looks off about that pickelhauble and the Ek1...

Don’t worry, the picture kind of makes them look worse, the Pickelhaube is missing part of its wappen. They have all been appraised by multiple collectors.

Perhaps some closer pictures would help!

I wasn't worried about the Ek2 but the apparent Ek1 on display.

Something is still quite off with that pickelhauble. 

What seems off about it? And the EK1 is an S&L early 60’s production here is a picture. If you need more pictures let me know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, PrussianGarde said:

What seems off about it? And the EK1 is an S&L early 60’s production here is a picture. If you need more pictures let me know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok then, the Ek1 looks good!

The metal work looks very poor quality and looks very undented and new(apart from the wappen). The leather looks rather new as well.

If you compare it to a private purchase officers pickelhauble it doesn't compare well in quality.

(Photo taken off the web)

RD0123182637_1024x1024.jpg

image.jpg.1b6d770d893e6255eeb13952282813a1.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

This is not an officers Pickelhaube, it is a policeman’s helmet. The leather is not new (at least from other angles you can tell). I can show you a few more pictures. It is missing its cockade though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ah a simple misunderstanding.

I thought it was trying to be a WW1 Bavarian officers pickelhauble.

My bad.

Anyway, would love to see some photos of that M40!

Edited by Jools mckenna

Oh definitely. However, this is not German, it is a Finnish helmet, I just put it there because it displays well with the collection.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, PrussianGarde said:

Oh definitely. However, this is not German, it is a Finnish helmet, I just put it there because it displays well with the collection.

I thought I recognised those weird stepped liner pins from somewhere and it's hard to see the bigger stamped vents from the original picture.

Very nice helmet.

Edited by Jools mckenna

PrussianGarde magnificent effort starting off on the turbulent world of collecting. Well done. Watch out though for all the tricks of any such trade. We have all made mistakes, sometimes very very expensive and great that Jools McKenna was trying to assist. More fellow collectors should do this in my view but of course in the current climate many 'keep their head down' for obvious reasons. However the wealth of knowledge on this web site is outstanding.

Mark 

On 26/11/2019 at 22:03, PrussianGarde said:

I got this all in the past 9 months (when I started collecting). Not bad for a 14 year old kid

I'm impressed by your depth of knowledge in this absolute minefield. I stopped collecting any of this stuff long long long ago, discouraged by the fakes, forgeries, scams etc. and knowing I was pretty ignorant.

Good luck and keep sharing pics and be prepared for critical appraisal - thats the only way to learn.

Charlie

Thank you for the advice! I have made mistakes in the past and that is why I have gone so in depth with studying them. Any critical appraisal is great, I love to learn and see what I can do better to help spot fakes and find good deals. Thank you Charlie!

Hello,

I remember when I was your age and collecting. I had the luck though that my grandfather had a small (mainly relics) collection and that he was interested and knew a lot of people, where I could also go and check real stuff. Then it was off to some small militaria fairs where I got to know more collectors to learn from.

All this has nowadays becoma a lot more difficult as people are more protective and one needs the feel and touch of real things, womething you can't find on the internet...

Jan