Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Broodsiende - Fred Priest Young

BLACKBELTUK

Hi all.

I found out about a great uncle who was with the duke of wellingtons  west riding regiment 8th batt. he's regiment was sent to pheasant trench to relieve a yorkshire regiment

on the 28th sept 1917 ready for the upcoming battle of Broodseinde on the 4th oct 1917. on the 1st oct 1917 he was killed by a german  shell along with a colleague. 

I have never heard of Fred until i traced my great grandmother though the 1901 census records. Hes full name was Fred priest Young.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I have split this into a new topic as your request is about the Duke Of Wellingtons Regiment, not the AIF.

Michelle 

• 1 year later...

Hi, Looking at your post I"m pretty sure you are talking about my Grandad , Married to Mabel my grandma ,leaving 3 children, Gladis,  Harold ( Priest ) and Ethel ( my mother ), They lived in Yeadon when I was young right upto my grans death in the 70s, Harold continued living there as he never married on Grange rd till his death, My mother moved to Barnsley after marrying Dad in 1944 ( collier ) Uncle Harold served in the Raf as Lancaster ground crew in nth Africa during ww2  The family is getting very thin on the ground these days, I am a member of Yeadon and Airedale page on facebook but have never had any luck on there finding things out about anyone, I do have a photo of him in civies somewhere..  We are the Ledger family from Barnsley if it helps with any research ?

Thanks.

Chris.

The enquirer was only on the site for a day in 2017. 

I can confirm he is talking about the man you refer to Chris, 

A pension ledger card for 28827 Fred Priest Young died 1/10/17. Wife Mabel. Children 

Harold Lofthouse b 27/ 8/1912

Gladys Maud b 12/2/1915

Ethel Mary b 1/7/17

Wonder if he ever saw Ethel.

Address 8 Windmill Fold, Yeadon - other records say Windmill Lane

Fred married Mabel nee Lee on 23/3/1912.

His name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium and he has no known grave. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11931290/fred-priest-young

You are lucky - some of his records exist.

He attested on 11/12/15. But was not called up until 15/8/16. Went to France 10/1/17.

Do you subscribe to Ancestry of findmypast? They both have these records

Welcome to the forum

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for your reply Mark, I did of course mean Lofthouse,  Ive toyed with joining Ancestry for some time, this is the kick up the rear I need !

Mam never met Grandad, My sister who lives straight across the road from often talks about finding more out about our mams side of the family I for one didnt know Gran was a Lee ?  I believe they were of Scots blood ??  and something to do with Linen ??  Not sure but I will be finding out more now.

Many thanks for getting back to me, And I hope to be able to take part in more on the forum.

Cheers.

Chris.

This is the link to his service papers on Ancestry. There are other relevant records that we can discuss here when you have the access. regards Mark

Hi Chris 

If you don't have it, you may find this link useful:-

https://archives.passchendaele.be/en/soldier/1569

This link is a letter from a comrade to Mabel

https://www.erfgoedinzicht.be/collecties/detail/0492c4f3-550b-5812-99c5-4743e86ad2f4/media/f3551ec5-d71d-9dbd-5fda-5aef0935f7b5?mode=detail

Kind Regards

Derek

Edited by Swinesheadvillage
Update

• Admin
3 hours ago, motmot100 said:

Ive toyed with joining Ancestry for some time, this is the kick up the rear I need !

Most public libraries in the UK are, during the pandemic, offering free home access (subject to fair usage) to the Library editions of Ancestry and Find My Past to their members.  My understanding is if you are not a member most are letting new members join online.

Hi Chris 

Just a note on the writer of the letter to Mabel, William Marshall 16212. He was also from Yeadon and a remarkably brave man, winning a DCM in 1918 (courtesy of Ancestry):-

image.png.c6ecded36aee4d1bbe5fd89032519360.png

He addressed the letter to Mabel, not Mrs Young, so he must have been well acquainted with the family.

William survived the war and was discharged on 15 Feb 1919. Surprisingly he is not on The Yeadon Honour Roll of those who served and returned.

Kind Regards

Derek

• Admin

I've sent a PM to @BLACKBELTUK so hopefully they will pick this up.

Michelle 

Hi Chris. 
  I have all for Fred’s war records which i

acquired from the internet. I am now in contact with two family members one who has traced our family back to the 1600. I sat on the ancestry website last year looking for family members of Fred’s. I noted down phone numbers but never got around to calling any. Even thorny surname is young my bloodline is Atkins. My grandad who was Basil young was born outside wedlock. Hence the surname young. My great grandmother was Fanny priest young. 
   Regards Ricky. 

Hi Ricky, Many thanks for the info, I am starting to trace the Tree very soon and this info will be helpful, We are the Ledger side as my mother Ethel Young married and moved to Barnsley, 

Please keep me informed of any interesting news etc that you might come across, the name "Priest" was popular  :) 

Thanks.

Chris.

Hi Chris.

The young family only used the middle name Priest for a few years. we can exchange info that way rather than on here.

Regards 

• Admin

Please use personal messages to communicate information like an email address. I’ve removed your email address from public view as spammers can gather information that way.

Michelle