Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Leicestershire Reg transferred to 17th Manchester Reg

2nd Stabilis

Hi 

my great granddad Pte Ernest Arther Garner was with the 2nd Leicestershire Reg not sure which company 1893 no dates of enlistment or of his transfer to the 17th Manchester Reg C company 40963 or why he was transferred, he was taken PoW at spoil bank on 26/4/18. Repatriated to hull 22/11/18 then sent back to 7th Meerut Division and joined 13th Brigade RFA as a driver, not sure which battery 296099. 

can anyone fill in anytime and date  blanks or which battles he was in. 
I have 1 medal card that says victory, british medal and GSM with Iraq clasp was told maybe more than 1 card 

he was demobbed 7/11/31 

please help if you can

thank you 40F0FE2B-7992-44F4-997B-FF237CE7FEA6.jpeg.e1d4592b7a1e4e75eab651b6041fbe5d.jpeg

FB9F5367-E457-4719-BB57-CDBB0CC55624.jpeg

19EDB68A-FA6D-40A9-9FAD-6E659B06A606.png

FB85BD85-3A8D-4988-B4D4-3EEF63C8DCA6.jpeg

Input posted to the other thread.

19 hours ago, 2nd Stabilis said:

fill in anytime and date  blanks or which battles he was in. 

As has been said before, without his record, the dates of his service in the various regiments cannot be determined so what action he saw will be guesswork.  Far better to await your application for his record!

Max

Cyril Goodison disembarked with a draft 4/9/1916. After arriving IBD he joined 16th Manchesters in the field 22/9/1916.  He was then transferred to 16th Bttn on 26/9/1916 and allocated 40912 Number. 

The number allocation date gives a strong indication that Ernest probably arrived with a draft at a similar time, but posted to 17th Bttn. 

The number sequence is strange, with 43000 being allocated on 1st September, to men attached to the Regiment in July 1916.  If I find more about 40000 series, I'll let you know.

If Ernest arrived in September, he will have taken part in the assault on Flers on 12 October.

Tim

The Leic number 1893 is I’m sure short of a figure, that number would relate to year 1886. 
den

His 7 digit number shows he served in the Army post 1921, and indeed, his name appears in the list of records held by the MOD

image.png.fe986d06addcfe70440323919db45ef1.png

You can apply for his records from the MOD in Glasgow.

Edit:

I see you have already been advised to do that in another thread about your relative.

Please, to save everyone's time and effort, apply for them, then come back with what information they contain.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Leicestershire Regt numbers were up to and over 10,000 by Aug 1914, they didn’t revert back to 1 they kept going, so as I said in post six 1893 would have been 1886/87 era, information from Army Service Numbers.

den

Edited by TTracer44

I posted the information from the Leicesters data base on one of your three other threads about this chap.  You have been advised on I think all of them to apply for his records and then come back with further, ie not the same queries.

I echo what Dai Bach y Sowldiwr and others have said.  I have asked the moderators to look at your threads.

Max

I’m still waiting for an ill relative to get back to me giving me permission to my great grandads war records but he doesn’t seem interested so waiting out as not to update the family. 

thank you to everyone who has replied, helped and posted pictures. 

im sure I will find out in the end. When I do I’ll post it.

Can we keep it all in one thread please for the same man ? - I've closed the other threads and pointed them to this one.

Much information has already been posted in the other threads.

Craig

Pte 40990 Thomas Edward Jarvis also joined Manchesters from the Leicesters.  He received a TFWM for service including 1/4th Leicesters No 597.

Anecdotally suggests that Enest Garners 1893 Leicesters No. was also Territotrial, poss 1/4th Bttn.

More research on Army service numbers site reveals that the service battalions used the numbers being used by the regular battalions, it does show Leicester Yeomanry as using four figure numbers from 1908 - 1914 what I cant find out is were the Territorials were using a different set, as it doesn’t mention there

numbering, more research needed.

den

1 hour ago, TTracer44 said:

it does show Leicester Yeomanry as using four figure numbers from 1908 - 1914 what I cant find out is were the Territorials were using a different set, as it doesn’t mention there

numbering, more research needed.

Each pre-war territorial battalion had their own range of numbers - this was standard across all regiments.

Craig

Thanks Craig, I had just been looking at SDGW for The Leicester reg  and many had these four figure numbers, so these early service  battalions were basically Terry battalions. apologies 2nd stabilis for muddying the waters, genuinely  thought had seen a problem.

den

Edited by TTracer44

On 28/11/2019 at 19:59, 2nd Stabilis said:

I’m still waiting for an ill relative to get back to me giving me permission to my great grandads war records but he doesn’t seem interested so waiting out as not to update the family. 

thank you to everyone who has replied, helped and posted pictures. 

im sure I will find out in the end. When I do I’ll post it.

If in the long run you can't get the next of kins permission to get his full record, you can get some information yourself if your G Grandad has been dead for 25 years. Dob, full name & death cert required.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records