Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Chaudiere Military Cemetery, Vimy, France

Ivor Anderson

Attached are photos of La Chaudiere Military Cemetery, Vimy, Pas de Calais, France, taken in 2012. One of my maternal great grandfather's brothers is buried here: Sergeant Francis David Sproule, 477871 Royal Canadian Regiment, died 9th April 1917. Born Dublin 23rd May 1890, so died aged almost 27. He was the third of three brothers killed in WW1. The other two were never found and are named on the Menin Gate at Ypres. Others may be interested in these photos. It mainly contains Canadian troops killed in the assault on Vimy Ridge. I have some other photos if anyone has an interest.

223.JPG

180.JPG

212.JPG

227.JPG

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Nice photos Ivor; it's a cemetery that I must have passed in the past. Thanks for posting.

Pete.

• Admin

Behind those leylandi at the back left is a rather nice blockhouse. Thank you for these pictures, last time I was there it was in freezing fog so I couldn’t see much! 

Thanks for the pics… been to Vimy but this particular cemetery must have slipped from my attention…

M.

Thank you. The trees around the perimeter are Canadian Maple. This was my grandfather by his uncle Frank's grave when we visited in September 1986 and the two gravestones to the left of it. There was of course no public internet in 1986 or digital cameras! There are now plenty of good photos of the cemetery online. We visited Vimy Ridge, and the Menin Gate to see his other two uncles' names on the same trip.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My Grandfather, Robert Kitchener Sproule, standing at his Uncle Frank's grave (Plot VI, Row E, Grave 10) in September 1986.

Francis David Sproule was born at 46 Carlingford Road, Dublin on 23 May 1890. Frank and his older brother 'Alacks' emigrated from Dublin to Quebec in Canada and arrived on the ship ‘Cassandra’ on 10th May 1910. On the 1911 Census they were together on Calgary, Alberta. Their father George then lived at 54 Lr Kevin Street, Dublin. They were living with their parents at 37 Carlingford Road, Dublin in 1901. Their mother died in 1905.

Frank joined the Royal Canadian Regiment (477871) at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 23 August 1915.  He listed previous service with the Calgary Rifles and his occupation as 'Fireman'. He rose to the rank of Sergeant. He died in the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 9th April 1917 aged almost 27. His death was recorded in the Irish Times in 1917: "Major Meredith Logan, writing to his father, said that the Sergeant, although wounded early in the Battle, refused to go back, and did his duty to the end".

His brother Alexander Gordon Sproule died at Mt Sorrel in early June 1916 with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles (117094) and is listed on the Menin Gate. Another brother William Joseph Sproule died in an attack on gun pits near Le Transloy on 23 October 1916 while serving as a Corporal (no. 43005) with the 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was among the missing in the action for which Sgt. Robert Downie won the VC. William is listed on the Menin Gate.

A 4th brother, my Grandfather's father, CQMS Robert John Sproule 7398, was wounded during shelling while with 7/8th Royal Irish Fusiliers in October 1917 and invalided home.

DSC_0153.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Frank on CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/80905/francis-david-sproule/

(Their father moved to 75 Eccles St., Dublin post WW1).

Sgt. Francis David Sproule 477871 Royal Canadian Regiment on our left, & Pte. Alexander Gordon Sproule 117084, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles on our right:

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 09.55.00 2.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson