Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a Prisoner of war

BIFFO

My latest project

William Sherlock Givens service number 22477,11th Battalion S.W.B.

captured at Mametz wood 11,July,1916,I have found him on ICRC record PA5699,

First sent to I think Cautrai 23,July 1916,then Dulman camp Westphalia,moved January 1917 to Soltau P.O.W camp near Bremen,

The only  next  record I can find from his mic, he was released on reserve 18 March 1919.

Is there any I can find out where he was from Jan 1917 TO 18th March 1919

Hello Biffo, not too much help but just been looking for a man on icrc sight no PR number but an R number 53044 on search it produced my man in lists of men being repatriated back to uk, officers and privates, not sure if you seen this resource.

den

have you checked all the ICRC records - I thought there was more than just the PA codes (been ages since I looked so might be wrong)

I believe I have but haven’t used the site that much, so could be missing something  an R 53044 gave my chap plus reams of lists of men being repatriated back to uk

nothing of where they had come from, no pow camp. As he  went missing on 10/10/18 could be that not too much paperwork got issued.

thanks den

Apologies thought Coldstremamer was answering my earlier post hadn’t checked the thread I was on.

Edited by TTracer44
Wrong thread

BIFFO,

ICRC - I found 3 records

I'm not a fluent german speaker (but had some coaching from one a few years ago on how to read the german on these forms)

All German PoW camp records seem I think to read backwards = as in: from B, at A

Starting at Mametz Wood 11.7.16

So ... 

PA5699 = but I read Gekommen Dat 23.7.16 von Cambrai [NOT Cautrai] = Coming from 23.7.16 Cambrai - need to look back towards front of file to PA5688 to find out where currently held = Zentralnachweisse-Buro des Kriegsministuriumugang von gefangenlager Dulmen [NOT Dulman] = Dulmen ...  admitted, from  Cambrai 23.7.16 = i.e. moved Cambrai to Dulmen

PA7576 Has him captured un-wounded at  Mametz Wood 11.7.16 - 5th column reads (approx.) c) dorbergebender Ulfent-haltsort - Dulman = Previous residence - Dulmen stamped 3 Jan 1917 so reading back to PA 7672 we find the Gefangenenliste des Lagers Friededrichsfeld and the period 21.12.16 to 23.12.16 so he's at Friededrichsfeld  = He's moved from Dulmen to Friededrichsfeld by 23.12.16

By the way, the "B" at the bottom of his column 4 (under SWB) means he was in B Company

Think I have got the PoW journey in right direction now - I hope so [though perhaps not all points on his PoW journey - much possibly for you to yet find]

R.52398 - this is his British repatriation arrival/landing list =  Hull, 27 November 1918

And MIC

As you say has him to Class Z reserve 6/3/19 - the chances are that from after landing / c.27 Nov 1918 on, and being then questioned by the British / offered the chance to report on any atrocities committed against him by the Germans, it is probably likely that he spent much of the time on leave at his home [or at least on leave in UK] before final discharge on 6/3/19

Hope what I think has happened does help you [If I've got it wrong, please correct me - but gently please!]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Mr Matllock Sir you are a  diamond geezer,I did wonder about coutrai in  the north ,makes sense to send /gather prisoners at cambrai.

You have also told me he was in b company,I will go back to the 11th wd as it does mention the movements of companies.

once again thank you very much

I am just getting over the MASSIVE  PRICE/SHOCK from the swb museum over  the price of a draft of the 7th,

wd

will pm you !!

Biffo

thank you all for your help,:thumbsup:

has restored  my feelings (a little)