Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Stephen Hugh Van Neck

Perth Digger

Capt Stephen Hugh Van Neck's award of the MC was reported in the London Gazette on 1 January 1918. He served in the 23rd London Regiment (wounded at Festubert at the same time as his brother in 1915), but I think he was on the staff from mid-1916. Is there somewhere I can find a citation explaining why and how he won the MC?

Thanks

Mike

Not an answer to your question, but it might be interesting...SH Van Neck on the left of the photo, the chap on the far right is  C Van Neck (Cousin?) taken apparently when they were both in the 1/23 London Regt.

His brothers Charles Hylton and  Philip were both killed in October 1914.

S H survived to become the Chief Constable of Norfolk in 1928.

He led the funeral procession from Sandringham for King George V .

Screenshot_20191125-194719.jpg

What appears to be the same gents in 1938.

Screenshot_20191125-230335.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Many thanks for the answers. I'd seen the photos but hadn't noticed how similar the two were in appearance. I hadn't seen the gongs. They were brothers whose lives after Festubert went in different directions. Stephen made his name in the police force; Clare (sic) married an American gold digger and socialite who left him to marry (and divorce) the Duke of Leinster. Clare remarried, Stephen never married (as far as I can tell). 

The family name was Neck, but each boy was given the last forename of Van and this was used as part of the surname as they grew up. An interesting way of increasing the social cachet of the family. I wonder if the cousins the Lee Steeres did the same thing.

Mike

7 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Many thanks for the answers. I'd seen the photos but hadn't noticed how similar the two were in appearance. I hadn't seen the gongs. They were brothers whose lives after Festubert went in different directions. Stephen made his name in the police force; Clare (sic) married an American gold digger and socialite who left him to marry (and divorce) the Duke of Leinster. Clare remarried, Stephen never married (as far as I can tell). 

The family name was Neck, but each boy was given the last forename of Van and this was used as part of the surname as they grew up. An interesting way of increasing the social cachet of the family. I wonder if the cousins the Lee Steeres did the same thing.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike....I'd assumed C Van Neck  must be  a cousin ( that I couldnt find) rather than a brother called Clare!!

Very colourful lives at the top of the social hierarchy. 

Yes SB, and the American provincial press took great advantage of it whenever an American and the British aristocracy were involved. The lady published her memoirs in 1975, complaining that the lawyers had taken all the best bits out of it. Plus ça change.

Mike