Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help for a German Soldier, Albert Wortmann

Sly

Hi,

I am looking for any information about a German soldier who has survived the War. His name was Albert Wortmann, born on 15.10.1898 in Endorf. According to his son he was wounded probably in Belgium. I have found him on the website of the German genealogy association, in the Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg, page 21562. 

1483894980_Capturedcran2019-11-2508_23_57.png.5fc3ae948e020a6fe5fb4946fc08e99a.png

Is there any way to find in which regiment he was ? Or any other information ?

Thank you for your help,

Regards,

Sly

Its very unlikely that there is any more to be learned about him, the Prussian Army records were destroyed in WW2. If there is a photo of him it may be possible to identify his regiment. The Feldgrau forum is well worth joining.

Charlie

Since he was wounded, it may be possible to find something more via the Krankenbuchlager, held in the military archives in Freiburg. I have no experience with the recent possibilities of getting information from there though.

Jan

Hello Sly!

There are different ways to find a man.

1) The casualty lists (which you visited)

2) The Red Cross for captured soldiers: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

3) Denkmalprojekt for killed soldiers: http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/search/suche.htm

4) Krankenbuchlager

Please note that no lists are 100% complete. So I checked the killed soldiers too. No match.

The problem is what Charlie mentioned. All prussian recordings were destroyed in WW2.

The only chance to find more is a photo, which shows his uniform or informations on the reverse like stamps, abbreviations and so on.

In the casualty lists in 1916 and 1917 the unit was not mentioned.

Another problem is the date in the casualty lists. That´s not date, when he was wounded, but the date, when the entry was published. In your case 1917-11-10. That means he could had been wounded a couple of weeks before this date! And that doesn´t make it easier...

Especially Flanders... The battle of Flanders 1917 was from May 27 until December 3. Involved was the 4th army with different army corps and divisions.

I´m sorry, I couldn´t help you, but you could ask the son of Albert, if he has photos, postcards or letters from him.

Chris, thanks a lot for recommending me!

Edited by The Prussian

8 hours ago, cmf said:

I'd recommend joining and posting at this site https://www.feldgrau-forum.com/ , which is run by Andy

It may well look like it´s run by Andy, as he is a busy bee contributor and moderator, but it is not run by him. Still very much worth a visit, as it is the largest platform for WW1 in German with quite knowledgable contributors.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

All prussian recordings were destroyed in WW2.

Do you refer just to Military records or is this also true for civil records -birth marriage death census etc ?

charlie

Thank you very much for your help, I will ask to his son if he has a photo of Albert Wortmann in his uniform.

Albert had a brother, Josef Wortmann, who has died in WW1. 

Josef Wortmann was born on 29 May 1897 at Endorf. According to the local record he was killed on 22 March 1918 at Beaumetz and buried at Pronville, near Arras.

He doesn't have a known grave according to the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge , but I have found a Robert Wortmann, killed on the same day (22 March 1918) buried at Neuville Saint Vaast German cemetery. As I have come many mistakes and mispelled names in the records and registers, I wonder if that could be him...

Sly

Hello Sly!

Robert served with the Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment. He was captured 21./22.3.1918:

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2199998/1/2/

The regimental history says, he died March 22, 1918, so one day after he got captured.

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you so much, this is the card about Joseph, Albert's brother.

I have found too that Joseph(f) was in the Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment, and the 3rd Guard Division was attacking in the area of Beaumetz (near Arras) on March 1918. 

What about the other one, Robert Wortmann who died on the same day, buried at Neuville Saint Vaast ? Is it another person ?

Leutnant Robert Wortmann, Block 1, Grab 932 ?

Sly

Lt. Wortmann (notice already the different rank!) served in IR 75 when he was killed near Vaulx-Vraucourt. He was from Hagen in Westfalen.

Jan

Yes, Josef. My fault. Sorry.

Robert was Lt.d.Res, born in Hagen. He promoted to Lt. in Res.Ers.Inf.Rgt.2 and was killed in Inf.Rgt.75 at Vaulx-Vraucourt

Ooops.... double entry...

Edited by The Prussian

I'm glad an interesting exchange has ensued as a result of my suggestion! :) Hi again Andy, apologies for inadvertently according you webmaster status! :lol:

Chris

Edited by cmf

No problem, Chris. I´m not the leader of that forum, but the "Brain&Engine"... :D:hypocrite::whistle::innocent:

Here is a photo of Officers of IR75. Unfortunately no names, no date. Jan will know it...:D

Inf.Rgt. 75 (Band Hanseatenkruez Bremen, Verdienstkreuz 1.Kl. Mecklenburg-Schwerin).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

:thumbsup: Yes, and I love it!

Unfortunately I don´t have the regimental history of IR75

Albert's son has sent me the only photo known of his father, Albert Wortmann. Unfortunately I don't see anything which can help to identify his unit...

SlyWortmann.jpeg.df4572e45db5468ae544dd3eb1565cdb.jpeg

Sly

That´s right, Sly. We can´t see anything... He doesn´t wear any rank insignias. So he was an enlisted man

No, unfortunately that´s wrong.

The administrative district of Arnsberg belonged (together with Brilon, Meschede and Wittgenstein) to the Landwehr-District Meschede.

This was part of the hessian XVIII. Army Corps. This corps included the Grand Duchy of Hesse, the southern part of Westphalia and parts of the province Hessen-Nassau.

The Landwehr districts Meschede and Siegen in peace time were under command of 21st Cavalry-Brigade. By mobilization they came under command of 41st infantry brigade (21st infantry division).

But that doesn´t mean, he served in one of those regiments. Maybe they took him in a reserve regiment or a non-infantry unit.

If he was an infantryman, he could have been served with IR87 or 88 or their reserve or Landwehr units. But we can´t be sure!

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian