Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Hooked Quillon Question.

Andymo

Being a very new member I trawled the archive for  hooked quillon threads as I've owned a couple for several years but one has always troubled me as there's no visible date.

It has an "ER" stamp so should be the correct era & doesn't have the oiling hole in the pommel but I've suspected it's pedigree since I bought it. Please have a look at the photo's & give me any information you can.

I've also included a few shots of my other HQ 1907, if anybody can tell me what the markings mean I'd be very grateful (I've assumed the 4 Man refers to the Manchester Regiment).

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy

1907_1-001e.jpg

1907_1-002e.jpg

1907_1-003e.jpg

1907_1-004e.jpg

1907_1-007e.jpg

1907_2-003e.jpg

1907_2-004e.jpg

1907_2-005e.jpg

1907_2-006e.jpg

1907_2-001e.jpg

1907_2-002e.jpg

Andy,

Crown / V6/ E is an inspection stamp by inspector based at Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) Enfield; similarly for crown / T5/ E .

X is the bend test proof.

/l\ is the broad arrow that signifies acceptance and govt. ownership.

948 on the pommel is the ‘rack’ number, i.e. the rifle paired with that bayonet.

It is unusual to not see any trace of a date on the ricasso.

Is anything visible if you look in oblique lighting, or rub with white chalk or apply thin coat of oil?

Bayonet does not, to me, otherwise look suspicious.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

Andy, welcome.

Many thanks for posting this query as it’s helped me validate one of mine, I also have undated Sanderson (pre clearance hole) and without the third inspectors stamp, but is in excellent condition...yours having seen service adds more weight to Sanderson at some stage issuing pieces either in a hurry or without final inspection.

For comparison, mines here...https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/264613-unusual-p1907/

There is also another undated Sanderson hooked quilon on this site here....http://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php, item no 26250.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Many thanks for the replies & I'm somewhat heartened by the comments. I've used various techniques to try to make out a date without success, I was worried that it may have been removed to hide the fact it was a fake.

Thanks JMB1943 for translating  the markings.

Andy