Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal award - any info or citation - 14/17 DRIVER WILLIAM HENRY DAY MM, NZASC

WingCo

My G Uncle received a MM serving with the NZ Forces in France. The NZ MoD provided me (below) with a pretty detailed Record of Service for him but after his posting to France in Apr 1916 I have no idea what part of the Front he was on nor what action he was involved in. Neither can I find any record as to what he did to receive his MM which, I understand, is not unusual, especially toward the end of the GW. Any help or additional info would be gratefully received.

Service Details

Marched into Epsom Camp, Auckland 13 Aug 1914.

Attested 7 Sep 1914, in the rank of Driver, NZ Army Service Corps.

Embarked for service overseas 16 Oct 1914.

Disembarked Alexandria (Egypt) 3 Dec 1914.

No entries were made on his record “Casualty Form – Active Service” until 25 May 1915, when it was recorded that he was transferred from 3 Company to 2 Company (Divisional Train), at Moustafa.

Marched out to Moascar from Maadi 24 Dec 1915.

Reported as still with 2 Company at Tel el Kebir 29 Feb 1916.

Embarked with Divisional Train, for France, 9 Apr 1916.

Attached to Advance Base, in the field, 4 Jun 1916.

Appointed Lance Corporal 3 Aug 1916.

Appointed acting Corporal 28 Nov 1916.

Relinquishes appointment of acting Corporal 17 Dec 1917.

Detached to YMCA, as Motor Driver, 16 Jan to 8 Mar 1917.

Appointed acting Sergeant on detachment to Divisional Pack Transport Company 4 Jun 1917.

Relinquishes acting Sergeant on return to unit 11 Jan 1917.

Posted to Motor Transport Army Service Corps and detached to Divisional Supply Column, reverts to ranks at own request, 18 Jul 1917.

Attached to 1 Field Ambulance as driver 13 Aug 1917.

On leave in the UK 10 to 26 Oct 1917 inclusive.

Awarded Military Medal for acts of gallantry in the field 30 Apr 1918.

Detached to England on duty 11 Oct 1918.

Marched into NZ Infantry Reserve Brigade at Sling Camp 14 Oct 1918.

Discharged from the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the UK 12 Apr 1919.

Medal Entitlement:     Military Medal

1914-15 Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Have you looked for the War Diary Of 1Field Ambulance? Given the dates, it is a good chance that he was with that unit when he performed the act he was awarded the MM for.

All the best,

Gary

DAY H DRIVER 14/17 NZ MT NZEF ATTD 1ST FIELD AMBULANCE NZMC.MM LONDON GAZETTE 16.7.18. ONE OF 2 MMs TO THIS UNIT AND 8 IN TOTAL TO 1ST AND 2ND FD AMB and NZ MT ATTACHED.for operations in front of Serre  27TH MARCH TO 5TH  APRIL 1918.

RECOMMENDED WITH DVR F J McDevitt MM. THE AWARDS ON THIS SCHEDULE (SCHEDULE NUMBER 172388) ARE FOR GALLANTRY DURING THE PERIOD 27.3.18. TO 5.4.18 .FOR THE OPERATIONS IN FRONT OF SERRE NOTABLY ON THE COLINCAMPS ROAD ON 5.4.18. FOR GETTING THE WOUNDED AWAY UNDER HEAVY FIRE.

LOCATION CONFIRMED BY RP NUMBER/68/121/554.

TRUST THIS IS HELPFUL. Best wishes, Howard Williamson 

Dear Howard,

That's terrific - many thanks.

I can tell you that, as a 14 year old, not long before Dvr Day (my GUncle passed away) he did show me a copy of his OCs letter of recommendation for an award. He subsequently gave me his medals - which I still have - and I'm sure I would have kept the letter too, if he'd given me that, but for some reason he never did. However, I remember vividly that it described his actions in rescuing these fellows who had been badly shot up and were languishing in NML and recommended him for a VC! He came undone at the War Office when it emerged that he had been ordered to retreat but had:

1. disobeyed orders by not retreating

2. taken the ambulance without permission and

3. had come back with it looking like a pepper pot it was so shot through with holes!

An unfortunate case of what became known as TWOCing later on in the 20th Cent. (Taking Without Consent).

Thanks again,

Peter

From ''Honours and awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War 1914-1918'' , by Wayne McDonald .

Nothing enlightening with this citation .

day (2).jpg

He was recommended with  44753 Dvr F J McDevitt (they have consecutive schedule nos)NZASC attd 1/FD AMB. Their citations would have been near identical and McDevitt's citation fits in with Peter's description ie "car riddled with fragments of shell"  best w, Howard

• 2 weeks later...