Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Palgrave Macmillan books £10 until 3 Dec 2019

WilliamRev

Palgrave Macmillan are one of those publishers that charges very high prices for its academic books (clearly aimed at academic libraries with big budgets, unlike the affordable prices of the fabulous Helion - how lucky we are have them producing their constant stream of good FWW books). For a while I have been unsuccessful in my attempt to find a cheapish copy of Prof. Gary Sheffield's Leadership in the Trenches: Officer-Man Relations, Morale and Discipline in the British Army in the Era of the First World War, usually £65 when new. I have just learned that his book is currently available (until 3 December 2019) for £9.99 for a paper copy, including postage to anywhere, using the link HERE (use promo code: CYBER19PAL when checking out). I have ordered myself a copy, although it took a bit of experimental clicking around to get there..

Hundreds of other Palgrave Macmillan books are available under the same offer using the promo code.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

Thank you for the heads -up.  Academic publishers have been acting as a cartel for some years and it was obvious that their would have to be a disgorgement of goodies.. Macmillan used to have some good sales decades back. 

There are a good number of otherwise unobtainable Great War books on this gargantuan listing. Well worth looking

Macmillan was bought not long since by Springer-so the backlist must be trimmed.

Tuck in chaps. 

Many thanks also for the link.

The search facility on the Palgrave site does throw up a large number of First World War-related books, but possibly only a few of real interest. Perhaps it would help if any which would appear to be of interest to List members could be pointed out.

A few I've just found (all £9.99 for the hardcover version):

Rewriting the First World War
Lloyd George, Politics and Strategy 1914-1918
Suttie, Andrew, ISBN 978-1-4039-9119-5, 2005, IX, 285 p.

Civilian Internment during the First World War
A European and Global History, 1914—1920
Stibbe, Matthew, ISBN 978-1-137-57190-8, 1st ed. 2019, XI, 335 p.

Australians and the First World War
Local-Global Connections and Contexts
Ariotti, Kate (et al.) (Eds.), ISBN 978-3-319-51519-9, 1st ed. 2017, XV, 254 p. 14 illus.

The Great War, 1914–18
Essays on the Military, Political and Social History of the First World War
Adams, R J Q (Ed.), ISBN 978-0-333-52232-5, 1990, XII, 195 p.

Austro-Hungarian War Aims in the Balkans during World War I
Fried, M., ISBN 978-1-137-35900-1, 2014, XVIII, 294 p.

The Great War in Belgium and the Netherlands
Beyond Flanders Fields
Rash, Felicity (et al.) (Eds.), ISBN 978-3-319-73107-0, 1st ed. 2018, XIX, 226 p. 17 illus., 9 illus. in color.

One small drawback-to the purists- is that the hardback books at least are "Print On Demand"- that is, shiny board covers rather than boards+ dustwrapper.  Only tells you that when you order.

My copy of Prof. Gary Sheffield's Leadership in the Trenches: Officer-Man Relations, Morale and Discipline in the British Army in the Era of the First World War, paperback, for £9.99 inc. postage (normal price £65) has just arrived, less than a week after I ordered it (even though it was print-on-demand, and I was told to allow up to five weeks for delivery.)

The offer lasts until 3 December and applies to all of Palgrave-Macmillan's books, so get ordering folks!

[You may find the link HERE is more convenient than the one I originally posted.]

William

Edited by WilliamRev

Palgrave have altered their sale- Most hardbacks have gone back to their full new price- still a few left. Damned unsporting on us skinflints to change horses midstream

Palgrave have altered their sale- Most hardbacks have gone back to their full new price- still a few left. Damned unsporting on us skinflints to change horses midstream

I was hoping to buy a hardback copy of G. Oram's Military Executions during WW1 under the offer, but have had to settle for an eBook version; still it was £9.99 instead of their usual £55.99. Paperbacks (where available) are still £9.99.

Offer closes midnight tomorrow (Tuesday 3 December) so just one day to go people - get ordering!

William

Yes-they obviously realised their error. But even after that, I ordered one item at £9.99 that had not been changed back- whirred, took my money, registered my order -and nothing. Now the beast is back listed at £79.50. I think someone in Basingstoke will be getting an early visit to the Job Centre when Springer  work out who was responsible.

My first batch of three came from this sale today (thank you for making us aware of this sale). 

I opted for hardcover versions, but I must say I'm not terribly impressed by the quality of the bindings. I know that they were substantially reduced but having used and read Palgrave publications in the past I can't remember them being so...... flimsy. 

Perhaps it's just me being picky but i can't see how they can get away with charging their normal prices if that is their usual level of quality. I do have some more to come mind you and hopefully the content will be good. 

Edited by NorthStaffsPOW

13 hours ago, NorthStaffsPOW said:

My first batch of three came from this sale today (thank you for making us aware of this sale). 

I opted for hardcover versions, but I must say I'm not terribly impressed by the quality of the bindings. I know that they were substantially reduced but having used and read Palgrave publications in the past I can't remember them being so...... flimsy. 

Perhaps it's just me being picky but i can't see how they can get away with charging their normal prices if that is their usual level of quality. I do have some more to come mind you and hopefully the content will be good. 

Production values have taken a nosedive-  It's got to the stage where major academic libraries will just not buy the stuff because the production values are so poor when set against cost.  Some years ago Sandpiper Books, a remainder company, reprinted a very good selection of  Ancient History and Mediaeval titles done by the Oxford University Press, mostly more than half a century ago. They too had the modern rubbish production values but were marketed as getting "the same" values as new OUP publications of £50-£0-£70 for £11.99-and,WOW, what a bargain this was.

Of course, OUP soon realised it's folly- if one gets the same production values on the same size of book, then one had to wonder what justified all the extra price up to the full new price of OUP (OK,in real terms, research ,editorial and typesetting cost a fortune-which reprints do not have to bear).

My only expectation in all this Palgrave stuff is that the new publications are now done in shiny board format-so I know what to expect whether I pay £79.99 (new) or £9.99 (sale)