Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rugbeians in the Great War

Louis Stokes 1916

My first book is being published in a week's time, so forgive the shameless plug!

'Rugbeians in the Great War' (Pen  & Sword, 2019) explains how the old boys of one school, Rugby, had such a great influence on every sphere of public life and the war. It's 256 pages with fifty pictures, most published for the first time from the school archives. Individuals explored include:

Ronnie Poulton Palmer (England Rugby Captain)

Maurice Hankey (Cabinet Secretary)

Ernest Swinton (inventor of the tank)

Sir Edward Goschen (British Ambassador to Germany in 1914)

Rupert Brooke (poet)

Wyndham Lewis (artist)

Duncan Mackinnon (Olympic gold medallist rower)

Four VC winners

All in all over twenty figures are examined, including their war service and civilian lives. Copies may be pre-ordered from me here with a £5 discount and free postage within the UK: https://www.rugbeiansinthegreatwar.com/product-page/rugbeians-in-the-great-war

Hi Louis,

Well done. A quick question though, does this book contain any more information than, lets say Poulton-Palmer, obituary and details in The Dragon School memorial volume, Memorials of Rugbeians Volume 1, Balliol College War Memorial Book Volume 2, The Blues Register and 50 years of Sport, Oxford & Cambridge???

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hello Andy. Absolutely - the first book you list was the primary source of all the others, so their accounts are all very similar. I have drawn upon them, of course, but also on a rare copy of the privately published biography of Ronnie written by his father in 1919 (held by Rugby School), on battalion war diaries and on private letters of other Rugby boys of the period. I taught at the school until last summer and so had full access to its archives.

Dan

Edited by Louis Stokes 1916

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Father Christmas has delivered this book , very much looking forward to reading it.

Michelle 

Purchased a copy from the publisher a few weeks ago.  Very well done!

Great! I've recently submitted the manuscript for my second book too - a history of the Royal Marines on the Western Front - and have started on my third (a biography of W. S. R. Hodson of Indian Mutiny fame).