Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Night raid on Asigo, Italy

John Holmes

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about this raid said to be by as many as 4,000 troops by the division on the 8th August 1918. I would be very grateful for any information about it as it seems more like a divisional attack. Thanks for any help.

John

Hi John,

There's a brief mention of this in the Official History (two pages or so). I took a digital photo of it to upload here but my computer (at home) went down, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post it.

Sorry,

Neil

Thanks lads about the books and hope you get your computer working soon Neil, I was reading about the Birmingham Pals by Terry Carter and saw a piece on the raid. It seems an interesting item.

Thanks again.

John

Hi John,

Until the photo is posted:

There were to be 8 simultaneous raids by 22 companies. The night was dark and moonless, led by guides the troops lined up in no man's land 400 yards from the enemy lines. Barrage began at midnight, front line taken easily more resistance in the supports and dugouts. Ineffective counterattack at 1.30 raid ends at 2 covered by artillery. 8 Officers and 347 men were captured total British casualties were 204, no wounded left behind.

On the 9/10th the French launched a raid with similar results.

Thanks to my wife for letting me use her laptop,

Neil

• 9 months later...