Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

matchlesspat

motorcycle ambulance / stretcher carrier

matchlesspat

Hi, can anyone point me to pictures of British stretcher carrier motorcycles, I have a 1914 V twin motorcycle, two early stretchers and a sidecar chassis of the type used and from around 1914, would like to make something out of these parts, 

will make a change from my other motorcycles, 

Pat

TTracer44

Sounds an interesting project, that link doesn’t work for me sotonmate.

den

sotonmate

TT44

Sorry, try again:

TTracer44

Thanks sotonmate, just seen it.

matchlesspat

Thanks for that link, had a good look through, I bought the bike from NZ recently, it is only 3 or 4 frame numbers from the other 1914 Matchless 8B that I restored as a WW1 MGC machine with Vickers Mk1, whilst Matchless did not supply machines for use in WW1 they did offer a couple of prototypes for testing, and as all of my 22 motorcycles are pre 1941 and Matchless nothing else will do, I also own the only surviving Matchless light car from 1923-4, please excuse any errors in my attire as I am not that much into the reenactor scene, more the motorcycling aspect, constructive comments welcome, I now have puttees but find they take a while to put on! 

Copy of Bovington.jpg

TTracer44

that is impressive Pat, just bringing it back to life is enough, it’s surprising what there is in NZ in the way of old vehicles, we were there in 2007 and probably went in every motor museum in the two islands.

den

Open Bolt

Fantastic bike. The stopping distances must take some forethought!

This is Second World War of course, but I have read in a First World War divisional war diary the suggestion of using Miller-James Wheeled Stretcher Carriers to carry wireless sets...

gettyimages-3271207-612x612.jpg.3c2c7080fd08b159d256314c2843985e.jpg

matchlesspat

that looks about ready to tip the guy onto the ground at the slightest bump! Matchless G3L, great bike, I have a 1941 ex Russian army, bought it in Latvia, 

Open Bolt
On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:58, matchlesspat said:

that looks about ready to tip the guy onto the ground at the slightest bump!

Indeed, no wonder he's kept his helmet on.

I hope you'll report back from time to time on your project, would be great to see.

matchlesspat

I have covered around 1000 miles on public roads with the 1914 Machine gun outfit this year, including the Pioneer run, London to Brighton in March, entered again for next year, the Banbury run, the west Kent run, and two Matchless club rallies plus a trip to the Tank museum and the Goodwood revival, always gets a good response,