Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Walter Gosling Devonshire Regiment 1914

Andrew Gosling

Hi, I am new to the Forum and wonder if anyone can help with my inquiry ?

I am trying to locate which Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment my Grandfather fought with.

The information I have is as follows :-

Private Walter Gosling- Born Kilmington, Devon 1894

Service No - 10157 [Devons]

357834 [ Labour Corps]

Was wounded [which Battle ?] and taken back to Netley Hospital in Southampton.

He then seems to have been moved to the Labour Corps.

He survived the War, and eventually died in 1966.

His obituary states he fought with 4th Devons, but his [early ?] Service No and Theatre of war entry [28th july 1915 - le harvre], seems to point strongly to 8th Devons.

Any help would be much appreciated. Would love to know where he fought and got wounded [Possibly Loos ?]

Many thanks - Andy

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. A very quick look at Soldiers Died ( I really should be reading up for my Resuscitation training Monday!) suggests 8th Devons, judging by the numbers. The 8th and 9th Devons lost heavily at Loos, it could be where he was wounded, but I wouldn't like to commit.

Michelle 

Hi Andy,

Welcome to GWF.

Not answering your main questions but wondered if you [already?] knew that it appears he had a pension due to disability???

Pension Ledger courtesy of Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3)

Discharged 18.4.19 he was eligible it would seem from 19.4.19 for "GSW Lt hand Due to" service [Gun Shot Wound - term often also used for a shell wound, to left hand] 

Recorded as Pte 357834 LC single at the time, born 1894 so all matching up

Address given as Bryants Cottage, Kilmington

Edit: appears 20% disability = 8/- [8 shillings per week] - recorded several times in 1920 but appears to have been made permanent 15.12.1920 on.

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

He appears on a wounded list issued by the War Office on 22/10/15. Meaning a wounding in the weeks proceeding. Then serving with 8 Devons. Whether this is the wounding referred to in the pension doc is very open to question. brings Loos into the equation. 

None of the 4th Battalions (1st, 2nd or 3rd line) served in France and the medal roll clearly shows he went to France and Flanders in 1915

Edited by Mark1959

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. A very quick look at Soldiers Died ( I really should be reading up for my Resuscitation training Monday!) suggests 8th Devons, judging by the numbers. The 8th and 9th Devons lost heavily at Loos, it could be where he was wounded, but I wouldn't like to commit.

Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

Appreciate your prompt reply. Loos is my suspicion, but how to prove it !

Many thanks - Andy

War Diary mentions battalion only 130 strong as at 27/9/15. So it was decimated at Loos. The chances of WG wounding at Loos must be very high,

Possibly born 7/2/1895 rather than 1894. Baptised Kilmington on 11/2/1895. Married to Laura and living in Tiverton in 1939??

Note previous post - that happened ar same time as your second one

Welcome to the forum

Edited by Mark1959

19 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hi Andy,

Welcome to GWF.

Not answering your main questions but wondered if you [already] knew that it appears he had a pension due to disability?

Pension Ledger courtesy of Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3)

Discharged 18.4.19 he was eligible it would seem from 19.4.19 for "GSW Lt hand Due to" service [Gun Shot Wound - term often also used for a shell wound, to left hand]

Recorded as Pte 357834 LC single at the time, born 1894 so all matching up

Address given as Bryants Cottage, Kilmington

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. My father had told me Grandad was wounded in the hand, his thumb was permanently bent over due to a "shrapnel" wound. He also sustained a throat injury [requiring skin graft], and a pit [Bullet exit wound ] in his back..

The details you have, confirm he is the right man.

Many thanks for the Pension info.

Andy.

40 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

He appears on a wounded list issued by the War Office on 22/10/15. Meaning a wounding in the weeks proceeding. Then serving with 8 Devons. Whether this is the wounding referred to in the pension doc is very open to question. 

Hi Mark,

That is information I have been trying to discover for years ! The date ties in perfectly with Loos [started 25th September]. It now seems pretty certain he fought with the 8th at Loos.

I can't believe the forum has helped me move on so well in one Morning!

So So grateful,

Andy.

39 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

War Diary mentions battalion only 130 strong as at 27/9/15. So it was decimated at Loos. The chances of WG wounding at Loos must be very high,

Possibly born 7/2/1895 rather than 1894. Baptised Kilmington on 11/2/1895. Married to Laura and living in Tiverton in 1939??

Note previous post - that happened ar same time as your second one

Welcome to the forum

Hi Mark,

All that info is correct. Census records I had access to, always gave age which suggested 1894 birth, but early 1895 would fit. [Something else I didn't know !]

Many thanks again,

Andy

People do sometimes mix up their year of birth when filling the 1939 Register, I'd check for the birth registration to see when it was likely that he was born.

1 minute ago, David_Underdown said:

People do sometimes mix up their year of birth when filling the 1939 Register, I'd check for the birth registration to see when it was likely that he was born.

Hi David,

Appreciate the advice.

Many thanks - Andy.

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

He appears on a wounded list issued by the War Office on 22/10/15. Meaning a wounding in the weeks proceeding. Then serving with 8 Devons. Whether this is the wounding referred to in the pension doc is very open to question. brings Loos into the equation. 

None of the 4th Battalions (1st, 2nd or 3rd line) served in France and the medal roll clearly shows he went to France and Flanders in 1915

Hi Mark,

The obituary reference was probably a newspaper misprint, or perhaps family misinformation. One other red herring that has confused me for years - I have in my possession a tiny Bible/Quran [designed to be worn on a chain around the neck, and read with a magnifying glass, now missing, mounted in the lid of the locket]. My Dad always maintained it was taken from a Turkish soldier by my Grandad. This, of course, made no sense if he served in France - unless it was taken from a colonial soldier.. When I found the obituary, the 4th Devons made some sense, as they were in Mesopotamia. You can see why I have been confused for years !

Andy.

His birth is registered in 1st Quarter 1895. Given high infant mortality rates baptisms tended to be done promptly. He was baptised in Kilmington 4 days after the birth date given in 1939. A year before would be unusual but not unheard of. The Birth Reg makes the 1895 date a heavy favourite.

Andrew

I do not think we can poistively preclude him being in the 4th - but their were 3 lines of the 4th, 1/4th, 2/4th and 3/4th. 3/4th never left the UK. A possible scenario is wounded in 1915, considered not fit for front line service thereafter. Moved to 3/4th and when the Labour Corps was set up moved to them. The Labour Corps gave a use for such men.Supposition of course.

We do not have any evidence he did or did not serve in Mesopotamia. Need to find something more concrete if at all possible. We know he went out with the 8th and was wounded with them. What exactly happened after that is conjecture.

BIRTH

General Register Office have a:

GOSLING, WILLIAM    

COOK  [Mother's maiden surname]
GRO Reference: 1894  D Quarter in HONITON  Volume 05B  Page 15

D Qtr = Qtr ending December (i.e. Oct/Nov/Dec)

If Cook is your GF's mother's maiden name then 1894 is likely confirmed - as per Pension record.

Edit: Always assuming I've got the right Kilmington (I've chosen a Devon one as he joined them) - according to Mr G's mapping tool Kilmington, Axminster, is 8.6 miles by road from Honiton which seems a reasonably likely birth registration = ???

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

3 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

His birth is registered in 1st Quarter 1895. Given high infant mortality rates baptisms tended to be done promptly. He was baptised in Kilmington 4 days after the birth date given in 1939. A year before would be unusual but not unheard of. The Birth Reg makes the 1895 date a heavy favourite.

Andrew

I do not think we can poistively preclude him being in the 4th - but their were 3 lines of the 4th, 1/4th, 2/4th and 3/4th. 3/4th never left the UK. A possible scenario is wounded in 1915, considered not fit for front line service thereafter. Moved to 3/4th and when the Labour Corps was set up moved to them. The Labour Corps gave a use for such men.Supposition of course.

We do not have any evidence he did or did not serve in Mesopotamia. Need to find something more concrete if at all possible. We know he went out with the 8th and was wounded with them. What exactly happened after that is conjecture.

Hi Mark,

I am sure all you say is right. I don't really believe he was ever in the 4th. I think it was 8th - wounded - Labour. We will probably never know where or how he obtained the locket, but it is still a great keepsake.

Many thanks again,

Andy.

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

BIRTH

General Register Office have a:

GOSLING, WILLIAM    

COOK  [Mother's maiden surname]
GRO Reference: 1894  D Quarter in HONITON  Volume 05B  Page 15

D Qtr = Qtr ending December (i.e. Oct/Nov/Dec)

If Cook is your GF's mother's maiden name then 1894 is confirmed - as per Pension record.

Hi,

This is the wrong one. His father was Fred and his Mother Rodrigo [maiden]. It now seems certain he was born Feb 1895.

Thanks - Andy

3 minutes ago, Andrew Gosling said:

This is the wrong one. His father was Fred and his Mother Rodrigo [maiden]. It now seems certain he was born Feb 1895.

OK just that I don't think you had confirmed this before.

OK I used the wrong forename!! ;-( Doh!

:-(  :-(  Sorry!

Any other forenames?

Not seeing a maiden name of Rodrigo on GRO at the moment (got it open right now)

OK Now using the correct forename of Walter  see 

GOSLING, WALTER     RODERIGO  
GRO Reference: 1895  M Quarter in AXMINSTER  Volume 05B  Page 5

Edited by Matlock1418
correction and addition

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

:-(

Any other forenames?

Not seeing a maiden name of Rodrigo on GRO at the moment (got it open right now)

My Mistake. Maiden name RODERIGO [Mary Jane] - they married 1889 Honiton i believe.

Andy

16 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

OK I used the wrong forename!! ;-( Doh!

:-(  :-(  Sorry!

Any other forenames?

OK Now using the correct forename of Walter  see 

GOSLING, WALTER     RODERIGO  
GRO Reference: 1895  M Quarter in AXMINSTER  Volume 05B  Page 5

Thanks for confirming that MATLOCK.

That is definitely the right one.

Regards - Andy

Hi Andy,

3 hours ago, Andrew Gosling said:

357834 [ Labour Corps]

Records for near number Labour Corps men exist which show that they (357811 Roberts, 357837 Mann, and 357839 Allen) were all transferred to the LC on 2.10.1917.

4 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

He appears on a wounded list issued by the War Office on 22/10/15. Meaning a wounding in the weeks proceeding.

I don't have access to the list, but the men from his regiment who appear on it would probably have been wounded within a day or so of each other. If you can find any surviving service papers for them, you may be able to make a reasonable inference about when Walter was actually wounded.

Regards

Chris

20 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Andy,

Records for near number Labour Corps men exist which show that they (357811 Roberts, 357837 Mann, and 357839 Allen) were all transferred to the LC on 2.10.1917.

I don't have access to the list, but the men from his regiment who appear on it would probably have been wounded within a day or so of each other. If you can find any surviving service papers for them, you may be able to make a reasonable inference about when Walter was actually wounded.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Very useful info. If correct it leaves a gap of  over 2 years between when he was wounded [Loos Sept1915], and joining the Labour Corps. It seems a long time to convalesce.

Either his injuries were worse than I thought, or could he have been doing some kind of light duties, perhaps back in England ?

Many thanks - Andy