Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel (Sam) Farnhill

Peter Bennett

The MIC Card for this man does not show any medal awards, although he apparently served from 26/09/1914 to 06/02/1918. I cannot find any Medal Award Rolls. He had a nephew of the same name who served in the Seaforth Highlanders and died of wounds in 1919.

Any help gratefully received

Samuel Farnhill MIC Card.jpg

This appears to be a Silver War Badge card - discharged due to sickness under Para 2a? of Army order 0265/17

Listed on Labour Corps List LC.935 if you wish to look further

Maybe he only served in the UK before discharge, many men did but perhaps not for quite so long, so I can see why you might be wondering about OS if the 2a? is actually 2ai ["After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct" I think I am lead to believe from other posts on GWF Edit: think that 2a may be a clerking error as for an officer and should be 2b as for a soldier] - could he have been a pre-war regular/reservist returned to the colours at the start of the war having served OS before? - just a thought.

Edit: You refer to a nephew - so presumably he was an older man perhaps not considered for the then current wartime OS - but what about previous service?  Just hypothesising - but what about previously OS contracted malaria, dysentery, enteric fever, phthisis/tuberculosis rearing its ugly head and thus his discharge [and death?]?  I couldn't find a CWGC entry [see post below - death seems too late at 20/12/21 for commemoration]

As seemingly an older man I am actually now erring towards HS only - perhaps at a KOYLI or LC Depot/150th Coy ???

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Peter,

Just noted your GWF 'Rank' so hope previous post was not teaching you to suck eggs ;-/

Can perhaps understand your interest though - a Dewsbury lad by the look of things = 85 Tweedale Street, Bothroyd Lane, Dewsbury to be more precise [or thereabouts ;-) - certainly for his widow]

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there are two Pension Ledgers and one Pension Card - under #217175

First Ledger 4/MF/1202 looks like it might have included payments to him [??? - certainly many handwritten initialled entries in 1920] but marked "Died 20/12/21" and then entries for a widow in 1922 then another file ref 4/W/62

4/W/62 follows onto to Ledger 41/W/74 and Card

Which identify his widow as Rose Ellen, awarded 11.1.24 = £1.6.8 per week WP and £1.3.6 for children's allowance = £2.10.2 with an AP of £1.17.9 [Alternative Pension] with a Class D date of commencement [I don't know what this "Class D" actually means or translates to] - no children are identified by name or number

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Thank you Matlock 

He is one of the 1053 names on the Dewsbury War Memorial inaugerated in 1924. As you saw, he died after the cut-off date for CWGC Commemoration. 

I am part of a group who are researching all the names and putting together short profiles of their lives and their service,we feel that it is important to be accurate about information regarding their medal awards etc. 

Hope I have helped!

Yes - good to be correct about medal entitlements.

Good luck ...

Edit: My edit in first post crossed with your second post - was not trying to ride on yours about commemoration! ;-)

All the best.

:-)

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

36 minutes ago, Peter Bennett said:

Having looked closely at the Silver War Badge Roll, it does state that he served overseas. 

When and with whom?

I'm guessing it's not as straightforward as that!

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

150 Company Labour Corps was formed out of 12 Infantry Labour Company Northants Regiment (LLT) so presumably a later arrival to that company from XX Battalion KOYLI.  The LC company number is, as I read No Labour No Battle, a France and Flanders number.  Not much further forward!

Max

Thank to Jay dubaya and his copy of No Labour, No Battle from another thread:

The LC  217175 number would appear to fall within  sometime between June and September 1917

3 minutes ago, MaxD said:

For the interest and benefit of those who do not have immediate access to Ancestry

Please - What mis print?

What medals etc.??

1 minute ago, MaxD said:

The link is to the Labour Corps BW and V medal roll I found him on called Farnhue - see medal card.  The roll conforms his earlier number and regiment (KOYLI).  He has no star.

Nice one!

:-)